Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

AOCL+B or ABCL

Discussion concerning level crossings

AOCL+B or ABCL

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Mon Jul 3, 2017 9:48 pm

Can anyone explain the differences between these two types of crossings, please?

In the Network Rail electronic Kent, Sussex and Wessex Sectional Appendix it shows that the level crossing at Winchelsea (East Sussex) is now an AOCL+B. It was formerly an AOCL crossing.

Yet the same publication shows Yalding Crossing (Kent) as an ABCL. It too was formerly an AOCL crossing.

To me it seems that the way both types of crossing work is identical.

Thank in advance, to anyone who can answer my query.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: AOCL+B or ABCL

Unread postby AN106 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 6:49 am

Peter Gibbons wrote:Can anyone explain the differences between these two types of crossings, please?

In the Network Rail electronic Kent, Sussex and Wessex Sectional Appendix it shows that the level crossing at Winchelsea (East Sussex) is now an AOCL+B. It was formerly an AOCL crossing.

Yet the same publication shows Yalding Crossing (Kent) as an ABCL. It too was formerly an AOCL crossing.

To me it seems that the way both types of crossing work is identical.

Thank in advance, to anyone who can answer my query.

As I understand it, an AOCL+B uses the existing AOCL circuitry, and adds additional circuitry to control the barriers. If an AOCL crossing such as Yalding is replaced with an ABCL, all the existing circuitry would have been recovered (with the possible exception of track relays, etc.) and new circuitry put in instead. I must admit I've never worked on AOCL+B crossings, but I suspect they don't meet all the standards of an ABCL, which is why they are only a temporary arrangement.
AN106
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby AndyB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 am

If I remember rightly, the DWL does not confirm barriers down at an AOCL+B.

I think the decision is taken on the basis of whether the AOCL in question is due for renewal anyway.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Ben.A.98 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:58 pm

AndyB wrote:If I remember rightly, the DWL does not confirm barriers down at an AOCL+B.

I think the decision is taken on the basis of whether the AOCL in question is due for renewal anyway.

You get the DWL when the barriers begin to drop, if they are held up slightly I think you still get the light for that train. This however drops the CYC(SR) which will then have to be manually reset by the S&T. With the CYC down the next train will only get the road lights, yodels, and floodlights, the barriers will remain up so no DWL.
Ben.A.98
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Level crossings