Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Rosarie AOCR

Discussion concerning level crossings

Rosarie AOCR

Unread postby AN106 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:49 pm

On the subject of conversions of AOCLs to AOCL+Bs, does anyone know what's happening to the unique (on NR) AOCR at Rosarie, on the Aberdeen-Inverness line?
AN106
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Rosarie AOCR

Unread postby John Webb » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm

I can't find this location listed on any map or mapping system. Where is it, please, and what is it's uniqueness?
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:09 pm

John Webb wrote:I can't find this location listed on any map or mapping system. Where is it, please, and what is it's uniqueness?

Does this entry that originates from the Network Rail data help? Though I wasn't aware, that there were any Automatic Open Crossing Remotely monitored crossings still operating.

http://www.abcrailwayguide.co.uk/rosarie-level-crossing-1001

If you use the 'Streetview' option you will notice there are NO Driver Crossing Indicators (DCIs).
Last edited by ex Probationer on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ex Probationer
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mad Mac » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:22 pm

It's still there, and is the only AOCR left on NR. I did hear something recently that the road is being diverted to eliminate it.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Webb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:50 pm

ex Probationer wrote:......Does this entry that originates from the Network Rail data help? Though I wasn't aware, that there were any Automatic Open Crossing Remotely monitored crossings still operating.

http://www.abcrailwayguide.co.uk/rosarie-level-crossing-1001

If you use the 'Streetview' option you will notice there are NO Driver Crossing Indicators (DCIs).

Many thanks - just what I was after.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby AndyB » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:38 am

AOCRs work in exactly the same way as AHBs, only without barriers. It's presumably dealt with by instructions in the Sectional Appendix.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby AN106 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:01 am

AndyB wrote:AOCRs work in exactly the same way as AHBs, only without barriers. It's presumably dealt with by instructions in the Sectional Appendix.

No instructions in NESA that I can find - the only reference to Rosarie or AOCR is the Table A diagram showing Rosarie LC (AOCR) at 27M 20Ch, with a note stating AOCR = Automatic Open Crossing Remotely monitored. The controlling box is Keith Jn SB.
AN106
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby mossend4 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:19 pm

AOCR instructions are still covered in the level crossing section of Signallers and Drivers modules of the Rule Book.

Rule book LC Signaller module, S4
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Ru ... ss%203.pdf

Rule book LC Driver module, S4
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Ru ... ss%206.pdf
mossend4
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby AndyB » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:47 pm

I may be missing something, but AOCRs are definitely not mentioned in either of those documents.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby mossend4 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:46 pm

AndyB wrote:I may be missing something, but AOCRs are definitely not mentioned in either of those documents.

My mistake, first post initially started talking about AOCLs etc before going onto Rosarie - and AOCR just didn't register with me.
mossend4
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:21 am

mossend4 wrote:AOCR instructions are still covered in the level crossing section of Signallers and Drivers modules of the Rule Book.

Rule book LC Signaller module, S4
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Ru ... ss%203.pdf

Rule book LC Driver module, S4
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Ru ... ss%206.pdf
mossend4 wrote:
AndyB wrote:I may be missing something, but AOCRs are definitely not mentioned in either of those documents.

My mistake, first post initially started talking about AOCLs etc before going onto Rosarie - and AOCR just didn't register with me.

As a most uncommon type of crossing (once one of the permitted standard arrangements, but now an apparently unique instance), I would have thought it quite reasonable for any one-time Rule Book or Sectional Appendix (SA) content regarding AOCRs that was relevant only to signallers (and to those expected to be competent in localised signallers' instructions) would now have been transferred into Special Instructions to Signallers at the box(es) concerned. This is what happened to the GW/WR-only Signalling Regulation 4A as the number of locations where it had to be applied progressively reduced drastically through abolitions and/or resignalling (Is it still applicable anywhere?).

But if there are any AOCR-related instructions applicable to Drivers who sign the road over Rosarie, I would have thought that the SA would still be the appropriate place for them, unless they are published in some 'temporary' but open-ended manner, as a UFN (Until Further Notice) item every week in Section D of the WON (Weekly Operating Notice).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:39 pm

The crossing was clearly still an AOCR this morning:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e258/ ... 7272-1.jpg

There is a statutory notice of temporary road overnight closure on a signpost for 6th to 8th of this month, but the reason given was track renewal rather than crossing works as such
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e258/ ... G_7277.jpg

Conversion of MWL crossings to AOCR was recommended in the accident report following the 1979 Naas collision with a dustcart. It was bin day today in Rosarie, but this :
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e258/ ... G_7273.jpg
was not a "large or slow moving vehicle" as defined on the road signs, as despite the 90 degree bend he took a run at the bank on the far side not stopping to empty the bins just visible by the right hand wig-wag in the first photo.

As a remotely monitored crossing, it must have some means of communicating with the supervising box. Some pole route still stands between Elgin & Keith. At the Elgin end, this stops just east of the B9103 road but looks in poor condition; at the Keith end it looks in good condition and starts just to the west of the Distant signal, presumably with buried cable in between (no troughing is visible). So does this crossing also have the distinction of being the last to be monitored via telegraph wires?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mechy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:02 pm

Interestingly looking at the link that was given to the ABC railway guide it states the line speed over the crossing is 60 mph which is 5mph faster than the usual cap of 55mph on AOCL's. Were AOCR's exempt from the 55mph upper limit?
Mechy
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby AndyB » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Presumably because it works as an AHB without barriers, and the 55mph restriction applies to all locally monitored crossings.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:43 am

Mechy wrote:Interestingly looking at the link that was given to the ABC railway guide it states the line speed over the crossing is 60 mph which is 5mph faster than the usual cap of 55mph on AOCL's. Were AOCR's exempt from the 55mph upper limit?

Yes, they were. That was the advantage of them. I'm not sure if they had any specific speed limit but if so I would guess the same as AHB.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Next

Return to Level crossings