Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Multiple Track AHB Crossings

Discussion concerning level crossings

Re: Multiple Track AHB Crossings

Unread postby Sharpey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm

The Up Goods at Floriston wasn't reversible the last time I worked in the area (admittedly a few years ago) with the Longtown MOD Siding being accessed in the Down direction via Mossband Junction. AFAIK there were no reversible moves over Floriston on any of the three lines when it was an AHB, can't speak for now though.
Sharpey
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Bob Davies » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Sharpey wrote:The Up Goods at Floriston wasn't reversible the last time I worked in the area (admittedly a few years ago) with the Longtown MOD Siding being accessed in the Down direction via Mossband Junction. AFAIK there were no reversible moves over Floriston on any of the three lines when it was an AHB, can't speak for now though.

That was how it was when I was there and as the connections at Mossband are still there (they would otherwise be unnecessary), I guess that is how it still is.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Sharpey wrote: " The Up Goods at Floriston wasn't reversible the last time I worked in the area .... .... AFAIK there were no reversible moves over Floriston on any of the three lines when it was an AHB, can't speak for now though. "
Now, to me, that prompts an interesting thought : Are/were there ever any AHBs on reversible / bi-directional lines (excluding those with AHB-X controls to cater for unsignalled 'wrong direction' movements : e.g. typically Single Line Working).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:31 pm

StevieG wrote:
Sharpey wrote: " The Up Goods at Floriston wasn't reversible the last time I worked in the area .... .... AFAIK there were no reversible moves over Floriston on any of the three lines when it was an AHB, can't speak for now though. "
Now, to me, that prompts an interesting thought : Are/were there ever any AHBs on reversible / bi-directional lines (excluding those with AHB-X controls to cater for unsignalled 'wrong direction' movements : e.g. typically Single Line Working).

I presume you are not including single lines here.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby StevieG » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Pete2320 wrote:
StevieG wrote:

I presume you are not including single lines here.

Pete
Correct Pete.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby AndyB » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

The bidirectional working Newry-Dundalk was never commissioned, but in principle Meigh AHB should work in both directions.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 am

AndyB wrote:The bidirectional working Newry-Dundalk was never commissioned, but in principle Meigh AHB should work in both directions.
Thanks Andy - Interesting.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Tom O'Flaherty » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Floriston was indeed crossed by three tracks and none were Bi-Directional. The connection into Longtown diverges some distance north, at Mossband.

I'd show you a screenshot from Simsig Carlisle for reference but I can't seem to upload the file.
Tom O'Flaherty
Crossing box
Crossing box

Previous

Return to Level crossings