Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Wicket gate locking

Discussion concerning level crossings

Wicket gate locking

Unread postby Chris Osment » Wed Oct 8, 2014 8:21 pm

Thinking in particular of the 'kissing-gate' style of wicket gate used by the L&SWR/SR, then:-

1. Can any describe to me please - or provide a picture - of the actual below-ground locking mechanism?

2. When the gate was locked, was it shut against the post nearer to the rails or the post nearer to the road?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Wicket gate locking

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Oct 9, 2014 10:08 am

As far as I can remember these were a bracket attached to the bottom hinge of the gate post. This bracket had a pin which ran in a slot of a bar worked from the wicket gate lever, with the lever normal the pin could move along the slot as the gate is opened, reversing the lever caused the pin to be trapped at one end of the slot preventing the gate from opening.

All of the crossings with wickets that I can remember locked the gates nearest the track and the gate had to be pulled to open it. This is what caused a fatality at North Sheen around 1969/70 when the gate whilst locked was pulled very hard by a member of the public, wear on the frame allowed the catch block to rise over the rib on the Stevens style frame (actually a Saxby and Farmer copy IIRC) and the wicket gate lever shot normal, the MoP then walked into the path of an up Reading service which ran fast through Richmond and so was running at line speed.

I can remember the wickets at both Barnes crossings, White Hart Lane, North Sheen, Grove Park, Wood Lane, Hampton, Malden Crossing, Motspur Park for definate were all like this.

Graham
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby toplink » Thu Oct 9, 2014 11:11 am

The wicket gates at Williton on the WSR are controlled by rodding up to the pit below he gates, then a length of chain to the pin on the protrudes from bottom of the gate into the pit. When the lever is reversed the chain tightens this pulling the gate against the stop so that the gate is shut to the post nearest the rail. When the lever is normal the chain allows free movement of the gate but takes up the slack when the lever is reversed.

In the near future the wickets at Blue Anchor are going to be controlled from the box but worked electronically through magnetic solenoids and the old frame now in the Museum at BA.

Simon
WSR signalman
toplink
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Chris Osment » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:36 pm

Yes, I'm rather well familiar with the WSR's wicket gates over the years, which is why I'm trying to clear GWR images from my mind in this instance :-)

The GWR/WSR examples have a spigot attached to the bottom cross-bar of the gate (near to the hinge end) which passes down through an arc-shaped slot in a metal 'floor' plate. In looking at photos of BR(S) era locations, admittedly none very close-up to the gates, I can no sign of any such arrangement. By contrast, I get the impression that the 'hinge' at the bottom of their gates was a vertical pivot and presumably it is that which extended downwards and carried the bracket to which Graham referred in his post? Am I right please?
Chris Osment
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:08 am

Were these characteristics company-specific standard designs, or would it be down to whichever signalling contractors' equipment was used?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:11 am

Chris Osment wrote:Yes, I'm rather well familiar with the WSR's wicket gates over the years, which is why I'm trying to clear GWR images from my mind in this instance :-)

The GWR/WSR examples have a spigot attached to the bottom cross-bar of the gate (near to the hinge end) which passes down through an arc-shaped slot in a metal 'floor' plate. In looking at photos of BR(S) era locations, admittedly none very close-up to the gates, I can no sign of any such arrangement. By contrast, I get the impression that the 'hinge' at the bottom of their gates was a vertical pivot and presumably it is that which extended downwards and carried the bracket to which Graham referred in his post? Am I right please?

Correct Chris.

Graham
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:41 am

Correct Chris

Thanks.
Chris Osment