Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Appleby level crossing North Lincolshire

Discussion concerning level crossings

Appleby level crossing North Lincolshire

Unread postby coffindodger » Tue Dec 9, 2014 11:01 am

Hello all.

Sorry if this has been covered before but i have tried searching and have found no anwers to all of my queries/concerns

As the title.I have changed jobs and now have to use this crossing on a daily basis.
Having rarely having used such crossings before i was wandering if anyone would be so kind to try and answer some questions.
We take such things for granted but never really understand them.
I have found that it is an MCB CCTV controlled crossing but cannot find a definitve answer as to how they are actually monitored or work.
Also i have found that that it is remotely operated from York.

So how are they monitored.Does someone constantly sit at a screen monitoring the crossing 24/7.
Do the cameras work only on lifting and lowering of the gates.
Do the gates have limits that signal they are not completely lowered or is it only visual.
Can the train be stopped if an object be it vehicle or anything else is obstructing the barrier.
Does the operator decide when the gates are lowered and lifted or does he work to set time limits.
How does the operator know of a train approaching by signal, live tracking of the train or both.

If anyone wants to add any more info it would be gladly appreciated.
Many thanks
Regards the old coffin dodger
coffindodger
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Appleby level crossing North Lincolshire

Unread postby Mad Mac » Tue Dec 9, 2014 4:50 pm

I'll take them in the order asked :-)

1) The crossing is generally only monitored during raising and lowering of the barriers, although the signaller can call the picture up at any time.

2) There is an "Up" and "Down" indication for the barriers.

3) The signaler can't clear the protecting signals unless the barriers are down and he/she has pushed a button to confirm that the crossing is clear. There is a recent development at some crossings where the verification that the crossing is clear is done by obstacle detection technology.

4) The operator makes the decision as to when to lower the barriers, although some locations automatically do so. There may also be an indication as to when to lower the barriers to minimise "road closed" time.

5) The signaller will be able to monitor approaching trains by occupancy of track circuits, essentially, as you put it, "live tracking".
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby coffindodger » Tue Dec 9, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi Mac

Many thanks for that.
I remember crossing it years ago when it was a manned crossing.
Lovely old jct box that has been restored.
Like i say we take these things we use everyday for granted without understanding how they work.
coffindodger
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Late Turn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:32 am

Appleby crossing is, for now, MCB controlled from the adjacent box, although I understand that it's all planned to go into York upon resignalling in the next couple of years . Mad Mac's comments are still applicable, with the replacement of the CCTV cameras with a window! In this case specifically, indication of approaching trains from Scunthorpe will be by a combination of track circuit indications and the train describer, and from Elsham by block bell (when the train passes there) and some way of timing the two or three minutes that'll elapse before the barriers need to be lowered (unless a treadle has been provided to give a mid-section indication of the train's position).
Late Turn
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby coffindodger » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:34 am

Hi lateturn.
Many thanks.
Found the info on the cctv here.
www.appleby-lincs.co.uk/
scroll down to notice board and go on
Appleby Signal Box july 22 2014
coffindodger
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Late Turn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Ah yes, I see! Yes, commissioning's planned for next Christmas, if I'm not mistaken ('Section C' on the main site should confirm), so it's quite reasonable to expect that work will already have started. That's all subject to the usual slippage in dates tjough!
Late Turn
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby jimsig » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:24 pm

I've recently re-signed Appleby and it's definately still worked by a signalman and IFS panel. As late turn has said it's AB to and from Elsham and TCB worked by train describer to Scunny PSB. The crossing is due to be updated to coincide with North Lincs resignalling and worked by CCTV by York ROC.Appleby box will close as will 10 other box's in the area on 24th December 2015. Although the original intention was to install an MCB- Oh Dear level crossing!!!
jimsig
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Level crossings