Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Lincoln Street, Nottingham

Discussion concerning level crossings

Lincoln Street, Nottingham

Unread postby edwin_m » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Continuing from the NY Level Crossing topic (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6946&p=70280#p70280), as rather surprisingly the search doesn't find any previous discussion:

Andrea wrote:
edwin_m wrote:
Adrian the Rock wrote:Doesn't Lincoln St crossing in Nottingham still have a set of traffic lights interlinked with its crossing controls? In fact IIRC the setup is even more complex there as the tram line also crosses the road adjacent to the rail crossing.

Yes. I think there are quite a few interlinked with traffic lights around the network, though no others with the complications of Lincoln Street.

What is confusing for road users is that at Lincoln Street the barriers are only lowered for a train, not a tram. At the next crossing, Bulwell Forest, the barriers are lowered for both trains and trams to cross. This one does not have road traffic lights even though there is a road junction right next to it. :?

This is, I believe, necessary at Lincoln Street to reduce closure times as it is much busier than the other crossings on the route. It also has the benefit, as I found out when I happened to be driving behind a fire engine last year, that emergency vehicles can still get through when it is "closed" for a tram. The tram operates on line of sight so the risk level is little different from that of a road junction, and I don't recall any collisions between trams and road vehicles there.
edwin_m
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Lincoln Street, Nottingham

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:02 pm

edwin_m wrote:This is, I believe, necessary at Lincoln Street to reduce closure times as it is much busier than the other crossings on the route. It also has the benefit, as I found out when I happened to be driving behind a fire engine last year, that emergency vehicles can still get through when it is "closed" for a tram. The tram operates on line of sight so the risk level is little different from that of a road junction, and I don't recall any collisions between trams and road vehicles there.

Just how then is the crossing "closed" for the passage of a tram. If it is by a flashing pair of red lights, then these indicate that ALL vehicles (including emergency ones) must stop, if it is by ordinary traffic signals then, yes, an emergency vehicle can proceed under certain conditions, the driver having satisfied him/herself that he/she can safely proceed.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Lincoln Street, Nottingham

Unread postby edwin_m » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:46 pm

A tram just triggers the ordinary traffic signals to stop traffic at the stop line shown. On the other side is a crossroads, and the signals do not let any traffic go towards the crossing but other phases can still operate. When closed for a train the same thing happens but the flashing lights and barriers also operate.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.98454 ... dKzp6A!2e0
edwin_m
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Level crossings