Wem LC failure

Discussion concerning level crossings

Wem LC failure

Unread postby DaveHarries » Tue Mar 3, 2015 12:08 am

Just found this link on another group.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sh ... e-31694929

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Wem LC failure

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Mar 3, 2015 6:06 am

From reading this it appears the crossing worked as designed and no irregularities occurred.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Mar 3, 2015 12:35 pm

I concur, this crossing certainly did work as designed.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mad Mac » Wed Mar 4, 2015 6:26 am

I agree with the opinions of my learned friends.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Wed Mar 4, 2015 7:50 am

So should the thread title be changed? Alleged failure? Media failure?
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:47 am

The media is failing because it reports that a level crossing is working as designed?

The fact remains that Joe Public gets worried when a train uses a crossing with the barriers up.
This never used to happen in the good old days when the platelayer's wife came out to swing the gates.
The trouble with wig-wags is that the average motorist doesn't think they are compulsory stop signals (whereas they would understand an ordinary road traffic light). He thinks that flashing lights are just a hazard warning (much the same as yellow a flashing light on a truck or a blue get-out-of-my-way light on an ambulance) and they mean the barriers are about to come down. It is the barrier itself that they understand as the stop signal. Such niceties as applicability to the emergency services just don't come into it.

I wonder whether any research has been carried out into the observance of wig-wags at other special hazards such as fire stations, runway ends. As long as they don't actually collide with the emerging fire engine or an overshooting aircraft, non-compliance probably won't be noticed let alone prosecuted. As regards their use at swing bridges, they are generally like level crossings in that they are accompanied by barriers, and if somebody goes through the barriers into the canal, people will simply laugh.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby colin1501 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 9:14 am

Following from Mike's point about people being worried by a train passing with the barriers up - not sure what the rules are here, but wouldn't it have been more reassuring if one of the train crew had walked ahead and physically held up traffic, thus reinforcing the message of the 'wig-wags'?

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Chris L » Wed Mar 4, 2015 9:31 am

colin1501 wrote:
not sure what the rules are here, but wouldn't it have been more reassuring if one of the train crew had walked ahead and physically held up traffic, thus reinforcing the message of the 'wig-wags'?

My understanding is that railway personnel are not normally legally allowed to direct road traffic by use of handsignals etc. - only Police and similar Road Traffic enforcement officers are so authorised.

Chris.
Last edited by Chris L on Wed Mar 4, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris L
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Wed Mar 4, 2015 9:32 am

colin1501 wrote:Following from Mike's point about people being worried by a train passing with the barriers up - not sure what the rules are here, but wouldn't it have been more reassuring if one of the train crew had walked ahead and physically held up traffic, thus reinforcing the message of the 'wig-wags'?

Colin
I'm unsure of the actual permitted duties of traincrew these days (which might in any case, vary between different TOCs), but it may well be the case that if such action was take place, the driver may be the only person allowed to walk to the crossing in these days when duties of guards/conductors/train managers are so greatly (or entirely?) now focussed on matters inside the train, and (except in dire emergency) may not be authorised to be outside their train at other than station platforms.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby micron » Wed Mar 4, 2015 1:39 pm

If we had designed them to lower, but not clear the signals, would we still be in the wrong, as the report would have accused us of trapping someone within the barriers? Although it might be a better option, if we still pass a train at extreme caution?
micron
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Wed Mar 4, 2015 2:52 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:.............. the average motorist doesn't think they are compulsory stop signals (whereas they would understand an ordinary road traffic light). He thinks that flashing lights are just a hazard warning (much the same as yellow a flashing light on a truck or a blue get-out-of-my-way light on an ambulance) and they mean the barriers are about to come down. It is the barrier itself that they understand as the stop signal. Such niceties as applicability to the emergency services just don't come into it.

Remember that the 'niceties' include such things as open swing bridges, all part of the different urgency which so many motorists interpret the wrong way round. Dutch people get it right (or drown).
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby JRB » Wed Mar 4, 2015 2:54 pm

Chris L wrote:My understanding is that railway personnel are not normally legally allowed to direct road traffic by use of handsignals etc. - only Police and similar Road Traffic enforcement officers are so authorised.
Chris.

Police are not permitted to overrule level crossing signals.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Danny252 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 2:58 pm

StevieG wrote:I'm unsure of the actual permitted duties of traincrew these days (which might in any case, vary between different TOCs), but it may well be the case that if such action was take place, the driver may be the only person allowed to walk to the crossing in these days when duties of guards/conductors/train managers are so greatly (or entirely?) now focussed on matters inside the train, and (except in dire emergency) may not be authorised to be outside their train at other than station platforms.

Assuming there's any other staff on the train at all, given the increasing prevalence of Driver Only Operation.
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Chris L » Wed Mar 4, 2015 3:17 pm

JRB wrote;
Police are not permitted to overrule level crossing signals.

My point was that, as I understand it, ONLY Police or Road Traffic Enforcement Officers are authorised to direct road traffic by use of handsignals in any case, regardless of under what circumstances they themselves are permitted to do so - or not!

Chris.
Chris L
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Mar 4, 2015 4:36 pm

I really don't see the issue here. I have re-read the report and all seems to have dealt with correctly and safely.

A few ill-informed motorists have apparently "tittered" to the effect that it was dangerous but we can clearly see it wasn't. Unfortunately Social Networking encourages people to write ill-informed twaddle and there it is for all to see. It is best ignored. Network Rail have given a very good and clear response which has been published with the article. For once I credit the journalist who was undoubtedly invited to write a sensational article but stuck to facts.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Level crossings