Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

What can happen at a tram/rail crossing

Discussion concerning level crossings

Re: What can happen at a tram/rail crossing

Unread postby Pete2320 » Thu Apr 2, 2015 8:58 pm

There were, I think, five tram/train crossings in Hull and I think all except one had trap points and tram signalling. This suggests that traps weren't a requirement.
I agree it seems extremely unlikely that therewas anywhere in the UK where an overhead electrified railway crossed an electric tram route. The nearest I can think of is where the Harton Railway in South Shields crossed a trolley bus route but this must have been a dead section as there was no signalling.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Thu Apr 2, 2015 9:15 pm

In Belgium, there were several places around Mons and Charleroi where electrified metre gauge tramways crossed railway lines on the level. When the railway lines were themselves electrified in the 1950s, the tram routes were reorganised to terminate either side of the crossing, although the tram tracks were left in place so that cars could, if necessary, be hauled dead across the railway tracks.

The tramways, and sometimes the railway lines too, have long gone at all those crossings. However, the metre gauge coastal tramway still crosses non-electrified railway tracks in the Zeebrugge area - and a number of lifting bridges. I don't think that there are any tramway trap points, although the lifting bridges have an interesting arrangement whereby two routes, each with its own bridge, are provided and trams are routed over the alternative bridge if the straight-route bridge is up.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Fri Apr 3, 2015 1:59 pm

Slightly off signalling, but one of the Charleroi routes was put on a tram only bridge when the railway was electrified. Motor vehicles still used the crossing.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Andrew Waugh » Sat Apr 4, 2015 10:15 am

I caught up with a friend today, and, amusingly, it turns out he was on the tram that derailed.

His story was that the tram was stationary at the level crossing waiting for a train to cross. He commutes on that tram line, and, as he puts it, some tram drivers get impatient at the delays and will 'ding' the signalman. On this day the booms went up, and the tram driver just took off. He specifically mentioned that the little red light - and he described the red T used as a tram signal - was still being displayed. He also mentioned that it did not feel like there was any braking after the tram derailed.

As you might have picked up, my friend is not a railway enthusiast, let alone interested in signalling. For me this makes his story believable as his comments hang together.
Andrew Waugh
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Stevoid » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:18 pm

Pete2320 wrote:The nearest I can think of is where the Harton Railway in South Shields crossed a trolley bus route but this must have been a dead section as there was no signalling.

The Oakwood Press book on the Harton Railway says it was a dead section. There is a photograph in the book which clearly shows it as such, too.
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Previous

Return to Level crossings