Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Redcar West Dyke Road Boom barrier replacement

Discussion concerning level crossings

Re: Redcar West Dyke Road Boom barrier replacement

Unread postby AndyB » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:49 pm

Kevin, strictly speaking it's a road traffic offence of ignoring the red lights, even though it's conventionally prosecuted by the railway unless the police are investigating other linked driving offences.

I would guess that the lights continue to flash until the barriers are proven locked with the road open?
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I doubt if the railway would prosecute in those circumstances and with my cycnic's hat on it is typical of the dual standards applied by the railway - letting (encourouging?) motorists get into bad habits and then throwing hands up in horror and prosecuting them elsewhere.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:42 pm

AndyB wrote:Kevin, strictly speaking it's a road traffic offence of ignoring the red lights, even though it's conventionally prosecuted by the railway unless the police are investigating other linked driving offences.

I would guess that the lights continue to flash until the barriers are proven locked with the road open?

Plus a time lag for the controlling processor to recognise that the gates are locked open I suspect!
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:17 pm

Do we know what equipment they are operated from - a pedestal like a MCB? Probably with Subtle wording changes instead of Raise/Lower. Are there auto-open or auto-close facilities? Can you stop the gates when partly open and re-close without first completing the opening cycle? Is the 10 sec delay possibly some sort of equivalent of the minimum road open time that applies before auto crossings can close when a second train strikes in after the first has struck out?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote: Is the 10 sec delay possibly some sort of equivalent of the minimum road open time that applies before auto crossings can close when a second train strikes in after the first has struck out?

No because the 10 second delay is in the red road lights going out after the gates have opened whereas the 10 second delay that you imply would have to be 10 seconds before the road lights re activate.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:06 pm

John Hinson wrote:I doubt if the railway would prosecute in those circumstances and with my cycnic's hat on it is typical of the dual standards applied by the railway - letting (encourouging?) motorists get into bad habits and then throwing hands up in horror and prosecuting them elsewhere.

Back in the days when I worked at the Kremlin (BR HQ 222 Marylebone Road), the Board's the then legal adviser was always stressing that you couldn't pick and choose prosecutions. If you chose to always not prosecute in a particular case (Redcar's lagging red lights, for example) then you cannot hope to successfully prosecute in another. If a clever barrister draws the magistrate's (or judge's) attention to the fact, then the case will fail (and because the word will spread quickly so will every attempted future prosecution). There is a fancy latin legal name for such situations which escapes me for the time being, but the judiciary don't like "convenience" dual-standards any more than John Hinson (or me, for that matter).
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby AndyB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:35 am

The problem is the precedent already in place that even though lights don't go out at a conventional lifting barrier crossing until the barrier passes 45 degrees, it's almost unknown for a car that's quick off the mark and can safely pass well before that point to be prosecuted.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Previous

Return to Level crossings