Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Wheel operated gates and Yodel alarms.

Discussion concerning level crossings

Wheel operated gates and Yodel alarms.

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Hello, can anyone tell me if there is a current NR standard or a necessity to have some sort of alarm proceeding and during the closure of wheel operated gates?
Cheers AH
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Wheel operated gates and Yodel alarms.

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 pm

In a word, no.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby Mark Lamb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:23 pm

I seem to recollect that some very busy road crossings with manual gates used to have road traffic lights (wig-wags), so I'd have thought yodals would be desirable. If so, it might be best to treat as if it were a MCB crossing. Standards probably don't cover this sort of set-up. Are there any gates with wig-wags around anymore?

Regards,

Mark Lamb
Mark Lamb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Wig wags are road signs, so have to comply with the highway code. I don't think there-s anything in there that says you need yodels - for example fire stations often also have them but leave it to drivers whether or not they are going to wake up the local residents by using the fire engine's siren.

I think it's more a case of the railway authorities having decided that they want yodels (or formerly bells) whenever they instal wig wags. Although manual gates traditonally didn't have wig wags and some now do, there are still gates without. Surely it's a question of assessing the requirements on a case by case basis, and I don't see that it makes much difference whether the gates are pushed by hand, wheel-worked or motorised.

Perhaps it is worth noting that the audible alarm continues until the train has passed at half-barrier or opoen crossings, but at full barriers it generally ceases once the gates are fully closed.
Mike Hodgson
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 pm

The question is about current standards. There are no longer any crossings on busy roads with wheel-worked gates, and I'm pretty sure that none of the handful of remaining examples have any sort of traffic lights, or wig-wags. The regulatory document RSP7 http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_fil ... idance.pdf makes no reference to audible warnings at gated crossings.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby Mark Lamb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:20 pm

I would read the ORR Guidance document as saying Yodals are not required. However, there is a bit of ambiguity! Under Provision for Pedestrians at Public Vehicular Crossings:
2.169 - Appropriate provision should be made for pedestrians...
2.175 - Where road traffic lights are provided, the warning sound should begin...
2.168 - Table 3 Pedestrian Provisions: Audible Warnings not required at Gated Crossings operated by railway staff.

So, in light of the above - and I don't know if this involves a heritage railway or not (I can't see NR fitting wig-wags at any gated crossings) - I would suggest advice be taken if you are going to have wig-wags at a gated crossing.

Regards,

Mark Lamb
Mark Lamb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Thanks for replies gents. I thought "no" might have been the answer. With gates becoming a rarity especially wheel operated ones the majority of the public are used to barriers with yodels. As was said most gates are on quite roads with less chance of Johnny Racer crashing into a closing gate.
We had a gated foot crossing operated by a keeper under the instruction of the controlling box. It was noticeable especially on gala days photographers would stand on the crossing fotting the stationary locos. When time to close the gates the keeper would have a job to move them. We had a yodel alarm fitted as part of a detection circuit,given a blast of it they would immediately move. This illustrates the point that the public recognise yodels as a level crossing warning whether gated or otherwise.
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 pm

I think Brigg has bells although the gates there are actually power operated. IIRC they operate when the gate stop lever is put to the normal check lock position. Apart from the power operation, these gates are otherwise identical to wheel operated gates.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Level crossings