Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Respecting copyright

Essential information about the use of this forum and other news

Respecting copyright

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:09 am

Posting messages

Please respect other people's work and property when posting messages. Only include pictures and text that are your own, unless you have obtained permission. Although somebody may have kindly given you free access to his photographs through his web site, this does not mean they may be freely copied and distributed.

A useful page on UK Copyright Law can be found at:
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyr ... yright_law

If you want to refer to something on somebody else's site, please show a link to it instead.

Use of material on this site

Likewise, pictures and information from this forum should not be used elsewhere without permission. Contact the author if you want to do so - you will generally find you get a positive response. But there may occasionally be cases where they are limited by somebody else's permission.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Respecting copyright

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Apr 8, 2013 4:13 am

With immediate effect, please ALWAYS include a few words below any images you post on this forum indicating the source and your right to publish. This can be as simple as:
Photo: J Bloggs
or
Image by permission of Fred Bloggs.

Following a recent tip-off from one of our members, I traced a single image taken from my main web site to no less than six different web sites, totally uncredited (inexcusable, as it does have my signature on it!). It has now been removed from most of these, but Photobucket are showing little interest and I will probably need the take deeper action with them.

It showed me how easy it is to publish illegal copies through forums and other user-input sites, and how this can spread. The law is clear - the webmaster (that's me!) of a site is 100% responsible for what is published on their web site, and it is of no relevance whether the images are hosted locally or remotely. This can certainly lead to problems on sites such as this which allow others to input information.

The law on copyright does allow small extracts of otherwise limited images for research purposes (see link in previous post) but you are still required to detail the source.

There is often no need at all to duplicate an image across more than one site - a simple text link to the web page concerned is often all that is needed.

We must make sure our own forum is squeaky-clean, hence the above requirements. In the first instance anybody who does not comply will be given a gentle nudge but I and the moderators will not hesitate in removing uncredited images if it is found necessary.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Forum information