Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

How to post photographs and pictures

Essential information about the use of this forum and other news

How to post photographs and pictures

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:12 pm

I have been asked if pictures can be included with messages. The answer to that is YES!

Before I explain how to do so, I would like to lay down some guidelines. This is mainly so that users without fast broadband will not be heavily slowed by large quantities or large files.

1. Please do not include more than three* pictures in any one message
    2. Please limit the size of pictures to a maximum of 750* pixels in either direction. This will allow for those who, unlike yourself, do not have a broadband connection plus a multi-million pound PC screen or a bionic eye to read minsicule text in a large screen resolution on a small screen.

* - updated 4/09

If you don't comply with these simple guidelines, be prepared for the DI to come stomping up the stairs. He can edit or delete your messages. :lol:

OK, this is how it is done:

When you are writing your message, click on the button above marked as Img. This will insert the following code into the message you are typing at wherever the cursor is.

Code: Select all
[img]

Then type in the URL for the image, eg http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/lm/napsbury.jpg, and then click on the Img button again. Your code will now look like this:
Code: Select all
[img]http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/lm/napsbury.jpg[/img]

and when you preview your message you will see the result is like this:

Now the next question is how you get your picture to a URL to do that. I've just blagged that one off my own web site.

Just like with our email group, you can do one of two things:
    Upload the picture to your own web space (if you have some) and then link to that URL.
    If you can't do that, then email the pictures to me and I'll upload them at the earliest opportunity to my own web space and give you the URLs to include in your message.

(By the way, it isn't considered good form to "blag" pictures off other people's web sites so if you are discussing an image on somebody else's site please just provide the URL for their web page).

Larger Pictures
There may be times when a larger picture is essential, for reason of detail. Instead of embbedding large pictures in the page, please just link to them, eg: http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/lm/napsbury.jpg . People can just click on that link to viiew the image.

To do this, just type the URL in without any Image tags around it. It is as simple as that, and it will allow those who want to look to do so, without forcing everybody to cope with a large image.

Hope that covers everything.

John
Last edited by John Hinson on Wed May 20, 2009 8:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Alan Norris » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:51 pm

For those unaware of it, you can for free upload your photos to www.photobucket.com. You can then post an img. link to that site.

Hope this meets with the DI's approval :) :)
Alan Norris
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Chris Osment » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:42 pm

I looked at that. There is also an 'IMG Code' link, which seems to be the same as Direct but with the [IMG] already added at start and end. Would seem to do the same job in one click rather than 3 ??
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Re: How to post photographs and pictures

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I regret the "attachment" system is no longer available owing to the lack of capacity on our server.

Please use third-party hosting facilities and link to the files there.

You can enter "image hosting" into your favourite search engine to find a suitable facility.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Forum information