Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Server upgrade

Essential information about the use of this forum and other news

Server upgrade

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Dec 3, 2015 3:53 pm

At an (as yet) undecided point in the next few weeks, this forum will be temporarily closed whist the entire web site is transferred to a new server.

For more information, please see the announcement on the main site Home Page at http://signalbox.org/ . This announcement will be updated as progress takes place so this is the place to go for the latest information.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Server upgrade

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Good evening. The forum should now be running. Maybe some fine tuning to do.

Apologies for the delay,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:00 pm

We seem to have an ongoing problem where site visitors are intermittently being sent to the old server and getting a "Service Unavailable" message. This is an outside issue but I am doing all I can to establish the solution.

If you are able to, please try the following, in this order:
  1. Clear your browser cache - details: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic
  2. Flush your local DNS - details: https://documentation.cpanel.net/displa ... +DNS+Cache
  3. and then restart your computer

This might resolve it.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:41 am

As many of you noticed, last night the main web site was off-line all night owing to a server problem. It is working now.

The catalogue of disasters as a result of moving to a new host on a personal high recommendation is highly worrying. We have the opportunity still to move the site back or elsewhere but for now I am going to leave things as they are and hope all settles down to a steady existence.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:50 am

The new server now seems to be running smoothly and efficiently. Reports of "issues" are now reduced to the level of criticising spelling errors so I am withdrawing the announcements on the main web site and class the work as "job done". I am sorry about the interruptions in the initial days - every server has its individual quirks and a few of these took some fathoming out. This wasn't helped by what I class as mitigating circumstances - for several months I have been suffering a painful body-wide skin infection (nearly recovered now) and also, as some of you know, we had an issue with plumbers which resulted in a ceiling collapse in the study literally within feet from where I was standing which came as a bit of a surprise. That problem had been brewing for over a week and such were the levels of stress here that when my wife heard the crash and called "what was that?" and I replied "its only the ceiling come down", she just said "Oh, OK".

We are not at all ready for it but Christmas Day is tomorrow! May I take this opportunity to thank everybody for their patience and support during the changeover, especially those who very kindly offered financial support for the new hosting to keep the site alive which was really appreciated but not needed in the end. Please all enjoy the seasonal break wherever you are in the world and I wish you all an enjoyable and trouble-free 2016.

I may well take some time out during January to "get away from it all" but hope that normality will resume with the requests for diagrams and other enquiries in late January or February (with a ceiling above my head).

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Forum information