Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Engineers Line References

Q&A relating to the SRS RailRef system, Engineers' Line References, and Milepost Mileages

Engineers Line References

Unread postby Blair Robinson » Mon Aug 9, 2010 9:48 pm

I've recently seen correspondence about this subject somewhere on the internet, by someone who is compiling a complete and also historical list of them. I can't find it now. Can anyone help me please? I've been searching but can't find it on our forum. It may have been on a Yahoo group.

Thanks

Blair
Blair Robinson
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Engineers Line References

Unread postby Zoe » Mon Aug 9, 2010 9:55 pm

Zoe
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Blair Robinson » Mon Aug 9, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks very much, Zoe.

It sprang from a s conversation between some of us stewards on the steam train waiting in the Down Goods Loop at Seaton Carew, looking at the Quail map, and trying to guess which codes related to which lines. Probably one better than I Spy!

I'll pass it on to Adrian Scales, who was interested in them.

Best wishes

Blair
Blair Robinson
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Zoe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Jersey_Mike wrote:The ELR's listed on that site seem awfully spartan. Is there anywhere one might be able to get something like this for BR or NR?

You can download track and route mileage and permissible line speeds from http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/5523.aspx
These are however shown by Line Of Route rather than Engineer's Line Reference although the ELR for that section will be shown at the top of the page and any change of ELR on the route will be shown.
Zoe
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby SRS Webmaster » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:39 am

I assume you are referring to Phil Deaves' site. Spartan or not it is the most comprehensive listing available in one place, albeit with some errors.

A list of current ELRs is most readily available in the Quail series of track diagrams. Each volume has a page or two listing them alphabetically. BR did publish lists but no one now seems to have a comprehensive listing.

The Network Rail link goes to a 'snapshot' of the Sectional Appendix entries at the start of CP4. I would anticipate it will be updated at the start of CP5.
John Lacy, Webmaster & Publications Officer, Signalling Record Society.
SRS Webmaster

Unread postby JRB » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:22 am

Quail are comprehensive for live railways. Dead ones, mostly still with maintenance liabilities, are difficult.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to RailRef & ELR