Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Workington Dock Branch

Q&A relating to the SRS RailRef system, Engineers' Line References, and Milepost Mileages

Workington Dock Branch

Unread postby SRS Webmaster » Fri May 20, 2011 9:18 am

Geogis lists this as 1m440y in length running from Dock Junction, status closed. Phil Deaves marks this off as being the Cleator & Workington branch that closed in 1936 and old OS maps (1900) certainly show it running from Dock Junction which lay between Siddick and Calva Junctions. The RCH junction map of 1914 shows the C&W line as 1m20c in length which matches nicely. Use coordinates 299760 530442 to view the branch on the old-maps web site.

What infrastructure on that branch would BR have still been responsible for in the 1980s to justify allocation of an ELR? (BR Residual lists don't have anything at Workington).

Can anyone confirm absolutely that Phil's allocation is correct or not and/or provide ELRs for the LNWR accesses to the docks from Derwent Junction that are still in use today.
John Lacy, Webmaster & Publications Officer, Signalling Record Society.
SRS Webmaster

Re: Workington Dock Branch

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri May 20, 2011 12:04 pm

I can't give you all the answers you want but I believe that junction was formally called Workington Dock Junction and wonder if the maintenance implication could be the bridge over the LNWR which outlived the line by many years but there is no sign of it now.

It so happens that when the lines were all in place you would do a full circle and come out at Derwent Junction if you kept going!

. . . an area I used to be very fond of and have a great fascination for.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Workington Dock Branch

Unread postby SRS Webmaster » Fri May 27, 2011 3:07 pm

John

Thank you for the information also to Allan Beck, Chairman of the Derwent Railway Society. The bridge in question seems to have taken the C&W Dock Branch over the A596 at 299791 530456, then the St Helens Colliery sidings and yard and then the LNWR line at 299699 530490.

At least one abutment outlived the branch by 50 or more years!
John Lacy, Webmaster & Publications Officer, Signalling Record Society.
SRS Webmaster

Return to RailRef & ELR