Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

'Egloshayle' - an evocation of North Cornwall in the 1950's

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

'Egloshayle' - an evocation of North Cornwall in the 1950's

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:27 am

Now that we have a separate forum section for model railways I feel justified in posting a link to some video of my model railway that is on 'YouTube.' You will find it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTk9RtXhiOg

The signals are all built from Ratio parts - the bracket signals are modified LNER ones with main posts scratchbuilt from four lengths of rail (as in the prototype) and the pastic LNER finials replaced with the correct Stevens 'cruciform' pattern from 'Model Signal Engineering.'

I made this video quite a while ago - since then the signals have been made to operate using a simple 'memory wire' actuator and ground signals have also been installed. I originally intended to make these work as well but, as most of them are not really visible from the operating position, the jury is out as to whether this added complication will ever be done or not.

As no one makes a kit for the LSWR type 4 signal box, mine was scratchbuilt using drawings from the late George Pryer's 'Southern Signals' book. This is invaluable for modelling as, not only does it describe signals and signal boxes in great detail, but it also contains many drawings that have (conveniently) been drawn to 4mm scale.

I'm now awaiting the specially-commissioned Beattie well tanks from 'Kernow Model Rail Centre' and in due course I wil post some more video to 'YouTube' that will show, not only additional detailing work that has been undertaken, but also the signals operating.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Re: 'Egloshayle' - an evocation of North Cornwall in the 1950's

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:35 pm

Peter - thanks for the link. I assume this is loosely based on either Boscarne or Wadebridge?
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:21 pm

'Egloshayle' is based on Wadebridge. I initially looked at modelling Wadebridge proper but found I had insufficient space to do it successfully. So I simplified the layout slightly, moved the goods yard away from the station buildings and postulated that the NCR had come down the opposite side of the River Camel through the part known as Egloshayle.

You will notice that the layout has a mixture of grey stone and red brick buildings - the grey stone ones are presumed to be original, with later LSW/SR additions in red brick. If you watch at the beginning you will see, at the station throat (just off the single line) a small stone hut. This was made from the base of the original Egloshayle West Box when it was rendered redundant by the LSW resignalling scheme.

You might also spot a little cream-painted wooden hut on the Down Platform - this houses the auxiliary tablet instrument used when trains from Padstow don't pass the box. In such circumstances a specially-selected member of the station staff deals with the tablets.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Keith » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Very nice thank you Peter. I thought it was normal to promote the best drivers to the express trains, but that one managed to spin the wheels without moving an inch! I would fire him and promote one of the other drivers.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby Chris Osment » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 pm

You might also spot a little cream-painted wooden hut on the Down Platform - this houses the auxiliary tablet instrument used when trains from Padstow don't pass the box.

I don't think that I have ever come across auxiliary TABLET instruments :? Although I suppose that the method of having a separate pair in the SB and hut could be used......
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:04 am

Keith wrote:Very nice thank you Peter. I thought it was normal to promote the best drivers to the express trains, but that one managed to spin the wheels without moving an inch! I would fire him and promote one of the other drivers.

Ah! But the 'Spam Cans' were noted for slipping when starting - having grown up on the Southern Region and seen the majority of them in action!
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Chris Osment wrote:
You might also spot a little cream-painted wooden hut on the Down Platform - this houses the auxiliary tablet instrument used when trains from Padstow don't pass the box.

I don't think that I have ever come across auxiliary TABLET instruments :? Although I suppose that the method of having a separate pair in the SB and hut could be used......

..er.... Isn't that an auxiliary pair? Or have I been misinformed all these years!
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Perhaps we might need to move back to the 'Historical' section if this thread continues too long but, although I have seen auxiliary tablet instruments used with Tyers No. 7 (at Muir of Ord) I can't say I've come across auxiliaries with No. 6 instruments. But I presume there must have been some - can anyone cite a location so equipped?

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Are you sure that Muir of Ord example (with which I am not familiar) was not intermediate instruments? No 7 was the only Tyers pattern to provide for intermediate instruments, which is why they appeared in a few L&SWR locations (eg Bideford - Instow, Worgret Jcn - Corfe Castle) isolated amongst surrounding sections of Nos 3 or 6 instruments.
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:47 pm

As far as I recall it was definitely auxiliary - one instrument in the box and the other on the Up platform, for the section to Lentran.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators