Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Hornby Magazine - 'Stop Press' mentions this Forum

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Hornby Magazine - 'Stop Press' mentions this Forum

Unread postby John Webb » Wed Mar 9, 2011 9:36 pm

The April 2011 issue of The Hornby Magazine has a Stop Press item which reads:

"A new railway modelling section on well known internet signalling forum The Signal Box is set to assist railway modellers who can access the expertise of members of the rail industry and signalling organisations to make their scale signalling more accurate. To join the free forum visit www.signalbox.org/forum "
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Hornby Magazine - 'Stop Press' mentions this Forum

Unread postby Chris Osment » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 pm

There is a similar, but longer, item in the April 'Railway Modeller'.

[Edit. Ooops - just seen the other thread! :oops: ]
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Not creepy at all! With the DI's permission I circulated details of the new forum section to all the model railway magazines I know of (apart from the 'dinosaurs' at Hagbourne Road) so that interested parties would know about the new forum section. Hopefully traffic will pick up with the publicity.

However, I received my latest copy of 'British Railway Modelling' today and a quick flick through doesn't reveal a similar piece there, although they were on my list. Maybe next month?

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby GCRuss » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:36 pm

I can see it now. Some modeller asks a simple question, no one agree's and end up arguing about various signals etc. Modeller goes away and thinks what a waste of time.

I hope to be proved wrong of course.
GCRuss
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:19 pm

I suggest that you have a look at the letter from Cliff Homer of Stafford that appears on page 47 of the April issue of 'British Railway Modelling.' I don't think any of us on here would disagree about the problem there and its solution.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fay Singpoint » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Peter Jordan wrote:I suggest that you have a look at the letter from Cliff Homer of Stafford that appears on page 47 of the April issue of 'British Railway Modelling.' I don't think any of us on here would disagree about the problem there and its solution.

Peter Jordan

For the benefit of those of us who don't partake of BRM (or any other Railway Modelling Magazines) a summary of the letter would be helpful. Observing copyright of course.

F
Fay Singpoint
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby beast66606 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Peter Jordan wrote:With regard to the letter in BRM, it mentions an incident witnessed at an exhibition where a guest operator stopped a train closely (but correctly) up to a signal. An incoming train then 'sideswiped' the standing train because the signal the other train was standing at had not been placed correctly. But the 'experienced' operator then siad the fault was that of the guest operator for stopping too close to the signal!

Peter Jordan

Happens (ed) on the prototype too :lol:
Better to be thought a fool than to type a response that confirms it.

DAS
beast66606
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Bob Davies » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Warning! Extreme thread hijack!

A new member innocently asked a question about how they might signal their GNSR model railway and we have visited signals on telegraph poles and signals placed in foul positions (and door handles at East Croydon brings back lots of not-so-happy memories) but ....

Meanwhile back at the topic, I produced a very crude sketch of some possible signalling for the layout and have spent the last 90 minutes trying to work out the best way of uploading it. However, during that time I am delighted to see that MRFS has actually done what I was trying to achieve (and in a better way) so at least we are now en route to providing the help that we proported to offer.

We go to the trouble of establishing links with modelling magazines and say "come along, we will help you" and then we treat enquiries like this!! Grrrrr!
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby MRFS » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Bob Davies wrote:Meanwhile back at the topic, I produced a very crude sketch of some possible signalling for the layout and have spent the last 90 minutes trying to work out the best way of uploading it. However, during that time I am delighted to see that MRFS has actually done what I was trying to achieve (and in a better way) so at least we are now en route to providing the help that we proported to offer.

We go to the trouble of establishing links with modelling magazines and say "come along, we will help you" and then we treat enquiries like this!! Grrrrr!

Well, it behooves us all [established] members to play nicely; I realised that I might have started the rot so by way of atonement I came up with the three sketches. As it happens I've been knee deep in drawing signalling schematics all day, so it only took a couple of minutes to cut and paste something suitable.

I'm using Adobe Illustrator and I save them as a .jpg and upload them to photobucket; conversely I would have sketched it out in pencil, taken a photograph and then uploaded the photograph.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:58 am

Bob Davies wrote:Warning! Extreme thread hijack!

A new member innocently asked a question about how they might signal their GNSR model railway and we have visited signals on telegraph poles and signals placed in foul positions (and door handles at East Croydon brings back lots of not-so-happy memories) but ....

[snip]

I absolutely agree with your comments and similar ones from others. I think I have sorted the mess out now, moving/merging/deleting as appropriate. Not a five minute job!

Those guilty of hijacking the discussion should be ashamed of themselves and I should not have to police their behaviour. I shall not hesitate to take stronger action in future if necessary,

Ingram - I apologise on behalf of the majority of members of this forum. Stick with us and between us we'll get your layout sigmalled.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby beast66606 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:30 pm

I'm confused John - the original thread was about this site being mentioned in a mag, and therefore the signalling query was actually a hijack as well :?
Better to be thought a fool than to type a response that confirms it.

DAS
beast66606
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 am

beast66606 wrote:I'm confused John - the original thread was about this site being mentioned in a mag, and therefore the signalling query was actually a hijack as well :?

All has already been sorted to the best of my ability.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators