Railway signalling discussion

Ex. LB&SCR ringed shunt signals

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Ex. LB&SCR ringed shunt signals

Unread postby waterloo » Tue May 17, 2011 10:35 pm

I am researching for a new layout project of an ex LB&SCR single track branch line set in 1953.

I am looking to use an ex. LB&SCR starting signal with a blck ringed shunt signal below.

My question is would this black ringed shunt signal been used to signal movements from the running line into a yard?

If so, would it have been likely that this type of signal would still been in use in 1953?

Many thanks

Re: Ex. LB&SCR ringed shunt signals

Unread postby MRFS » Tue May 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Although this isn't quite the right answer for you ringed armed (polo)[1] shunt signals were used in exactly the circumstance you describe as late as 1951 at Eastchurch on the Sheppey Light Railway - so there is a 'Southern' or Southern Region provenance.

[1] Slow, Easy and Cosy type with the arm formed into the shape of the ring - the ring wasn't separate it was the arm. They were paired with LC&D full-size arms.

Perhaps someone else can come up with a slightly more appropriate answer.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.

Re: Ex. LB&SCR ringed shunt signals

Unread postby South Western John » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:19 pm

I remember such a signal in use at Staines (SR) Station in about 1944. However sometime in the 1950s this arm was replaced by a "short" arm. It had been a short (corrugated) arm since before the accident of 9th August 1957 when due to misreading of the signal by the motorman of a Waterloo bound electric train, it collided head on at very low speed with 0-6-0 class 700 no. 30688. The 'Black Motor' was leaving the East Yard to cross to the down main and was thrown on its side. The driving cab of the electric was wrecked and the motorman died at the scene.

Ref. Plate 85 of "The Southern in Surrey and Berkshire" by Terry Gough pub'd OPC ISBN 0-86093-426-8. As you will see this is a three-doll Westinghouse bracket, the arm in question being the left hand one.
South Western John
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators