Railway signalling discussion

Runaway protection, at stations on single lines.

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Runaway protection, at stations on single lines.

Unread postby Signalhunter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:52 pm

A friend and I are building a staion, with two platforms, on a single line. By pure coincidence the track plan is very similar to Grassington (See here ) but, as a through station instead of a terminus. In fact, it is assumed that the planned northern extension, from Grassington to Aysgarth, was built. Ours would be the next station to the north.
On it, what was Delaney's sidings, is a bay platform and it is all done with points, no single or double slips. Also, the crossover at the left hand end is formed by with a catch point. Rather than two points.

My question is, assuming a rising gradient (of around 1 in 60) from left to right, would points 20 (in John's drawing) normally lie the opposite way, to divert any runaways, wrong line, through the station and off at the catch points?
Railways help me relax after a hard day at work. ERGO:- Railways help pay my bills!!
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Runaway protection, at stations on single lines.

Unread postby push-pull » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 am

In my experience, short answer no.
20 would lie normal as per diagram to give a down train a clearing point into the down platform.
Like wise an up train would need a clearing point to the up platform, so the nearest point to the ground frame on the extreme left is incorrectly shown. A catch point would be useful where described when shunting from the shunting line to the up platform to prevent runaways onto the single line.

Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 am

I agree with Marco. Diverting runaways "wrong line" could make the situation worse.

Special arrangements might be found if there had previously been an accident. But this would generally be an arrangement to run into a sand drag or sidings. Most such incidents would have entailed the rear of a departing unfitted freight rolling back.

John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby edwin_m » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

You might want to have a look at what happened at Carrbridge sometime after these events: ... ventID=270

and how this was implicated in a later accident: ... entID=6623
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators