Railway signalling discussion

Model Railway Journal No 215

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Model Railway Journal No 215

Unread postby Tulyar15 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:55 am

Quite a lot signalling related articles in this:-

1) An introduction to Block Working ("Miniature Block Instruments") by Steve Hall, page 144

2) "Block Instruments for Stockport Tiviot Dale and Millhouses & Eccleshall" by Richard Challis, page 147

The above two articles mention a chap called John Brighton (who owns the Millhouses & Eccleshall layout) who apparrently is keen to encourage awareness of absolute block working

3) "Futurist Naff" on page 135 in which Jim Smith-Wright describes how he made a model of Birmingham New St panel in 4mm scale

In addition to the above I also enjoyed "Portchullin" on page 123 in which Mark Tatlow described his fictitious Kyle line station with long loop and two boxes - and signalman's bike! It's set in 1974 but as he points not much had changed on the line (apart from locos and stock) since the 1920's.

Has anyone else read these articles? Opinions?

Finally I shall have the magazine with me at Bitton station on the Avon Valley Railway where I'm manning the Booking Office and will lend it to anyone who calls in and wished to borrow it.
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Model Railway Journal No 215

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Tulyar15 wrote:Jim Smith-Wright describes how he made a model of Birmingham New St panel in 4mm scale.

Now there's a thought to make your eyes water! :D

It's the box he has modelled, not the panel itself, in case anyone was wondering, and a very fine model it is too.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Re: Model Railway Journal No 215

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:16 pm

An interesting selection. Back in Model Railway Journal No. 171 there was a very detailed description of the building of a bracket colour light signal with two 3-aspect heads, one of which had position 4, 5 and 6 JIs and the other had 1, 4 & 5 JIs, both with separate subsidiary signals, for use on the modern scene Widnes Vine Yard 4mm layout.

Re Jim Smith-Wright's Birmingham New Street model, he has an ongoing description of progress on this at: although there are some 1,400+ postings on 96 pages now! But it is a remarkable tour-de-force with quite a few years work still to go.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators