Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

A simple passing place

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

A simple passing place

Unread postby PDR » Mon Oct 7, 2013 6:18 am

My modelling interest in Irish narrow gauge Light Railways, and I am currently contemplating the signalling for the midpoint loop on a point to point layout. The layout is simple - a loop, a siding on the down side accessed from a set of trailing points at the down end of the loop. Flanking "platforms." The 'up' end of the station has some sighting issues; the 'down' end has good sighting. The line opens c.1887-9 and is somewhat dominated by the neighbouring Great Southern and Western Railway. This should make it fairly "normal" in terms of Irish practice.

What I am contemplating is a groundframe on the platform worked by a porter-signalman. I think would have been installed is:

1. Up home
2. FLP on 3
3. Up loop points
4. siding points - with indicator worked off tail rod
5. Down loop point
6. FLP on 5.
7. Down Home signal
8. Down Distant

I have never been able to discern a pattern with Irish lines built under the 1883 Act. The norm seems to have been to provide home signals were required at loops, but distants were hit and miss, even when there were sighting issues, and starters also seem to be hit and miss. The Tralee and Dingle, which was completed after the 1889 Railway Regulation Act was consistent in using homes and starters, but earlier lines seem to be less consistent. The Schull and Skibbereen, despite being divided into two sections at Ballydehob, was innocent of any fixed signals!

Any thoughts?

Peter in AZ
PDR
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators