Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Concrete cable ducts in 00/4mm?

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Concrete cable ducts in 00/4mm?

Unread postby DavidBelcher » Sat Feb 8, 2014 10:30 am

A quick question from a newcomer - does anyone know what the rough dimensions are for the older imperial-measurement concrete ducts (modern NR ones are cast to metric specs, I believe) used for point and signal cabling in areas with all-electric 'boxes? I know they can be bought off-the-peg from Wills & Ten Commandments but I have a lot more fun building my own scenic stuff where I can - balsa strip or Plastruct channel seem the obvious choices, but what width/height will work best for an 00 layout?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or info.

David
DavidBelcher
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Concrete cable ducts in 00/4mm?

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Sat Feb 8, 2014 12:44 pm

Didn't each Region have their own?

I certainly got the impression that the Southern ones were different, no doubt an Exmouth Junction product.

I might have assumed that a national standard was imposed (late 1960s) at about the same time that the SR started to use steel tubes for C/L signal posts and 5 rather than 3 light feathers, but the troughs and lids regularly got damaged, not least by minor derailments, and trying to install replacements of a different size/design would have been a nightmare.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Bob Davies » Sat Feb 8, 2014 2:08 pm

While I cannot help with the dimensions in imperial units, I can still quote quite a lot of the BR metric sizes for concrete cable ducts (how sad!), and the imperial sizes weren't a long way away from these. They would certainly be close enough when scaled down for modelling purposes.

From small to large (interior dimensions width x depth - all dimensions in mm - add about 50mm for external dimensions)
100x90
100x130
150x200
190x130
300x130
300x350

The imperial version of 300x350 was known as 'AA' size and had roughly the same internal dimensions but it came in 2ft lengths rather than 1m. 100x90 was used exclusively for subsidiary distribution routes. 150x200 was the preferred size for general routes on the LM Region but I believe that 190x130 was the preferred size on the Southern Region, although in both cases in areas where there was lots of equipment larger sizes would be more common.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby DavidBelcher » Sat Feb 8, 2014 5:16 pm

davidwoodcock wrote:Didn't each Region have their own?

Good point there - my layout depicts a former L&Y line transferred from the LMR to the NER in the '50s (as happened with a lot of ex-LMS territory in Yorkshire at that time). The ER and NER did sometimes use exposed cabling slung from posts at regular intervals (as sometimes seen in Woodhead route photos*), but that's way too fiddly for my modelling ability so concrete troughs it is!

David

*Although I'm assuming that was signal/point cabling and not traction current feeder cables.
DavidBelcher
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby DavidBelcher » Sat Feb 8, 2014 5:18 pm

Bob Davies wrote:While I cannot help with the dimensions in imperial units, I can still quote quite a lot of the BR metric sizes for concrete cable ducts (how sad!), and the imperial sizes weren't a long way away from these. They would certainly be close enough when scaled down for modelling purposes.

From small to large (interior dimensions width x depth - all dimensions in mm - add about 50mm for external dimensions)
100x90
100x130
150x200
190x130
300x130
300x350

The imperial version of 300x350 was known as 'AA' size and had roughly the same internal dimensions but it came in 2ft lengths rather than 1m. 100x90 was used exclusively for subsidiary distribution routes. 150x200 was the preferred size for general routes on the LM Region but I believe that 190x130 was the preferred size on the Southern Region, although in both cases in areas where there was lots of equipment larger sizes would be more common.

Thanks Bob. I suppose in 00 the odd fraction of a mm difference in width/height won't easily be noticed - sounds as though the length is more of an issue though, so I'll plump for 2ft (8mm).

David
DavidBelcher
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Bob Davies » Sat Feb 8, 2014 9:51 pm

DavidBelcher wrote:Thanks Bob. I suppose in 00 the odd fraction of a mm difference in width/height won't easily be noticed - sounds as though the length is more of an issue though, so I'll plump for 2ft (8mm).
David

I wouldn't do that. While I cannot say for certain, observation suggests that most concrete troughs to imperial dimensions came in 3ft lengths. The AA was 2ft long because if it was 3ft long it would be too heavy to lift! (This did not stop the clever things at BR HQ making the 300x350 trough 1m long, thus needing two people to move it.)
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators