Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Help on signals for new layout.

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Help on signals for new layout.

Unread postby joshs » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:35 pm

HI Everyone

I'm putting together a 00 gauge layout based around a Terminus station in a town. I've made a idea of where all the signals would go but would like some advice if there right. The layout is based in a Urban Northern Town around the era of 1950's to 1980's and was built by the LNWR So will include a mixture of LNWR and LMS semaphore Signals.

Here's a picture showing the Platforms as well as CS1 and CS2 and platforms 1 on the left and 2 on the right of the Island platform.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z296 ... DC6357.jpg

Here's a picture of the track diagram of the Station and sidings and point work on the layout, The numbers correspond with the list of signals, points and Facing Point locks that are numbered with an arrow pointing to their location on the Diagram.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z296 ... DC6377.jpg

The signal box will be on a gantry due to the space constraints and will be sat roughly over the Up and Down main lines outside the cutting, ( the double tunnel mouth is no longer there and is replaced by the Signal Box gantry) and will be sat just forward of where the Tunnel mouth is shown on the Picture.

Thanks for any help regarding this.

Cheers Josh
joshs
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Help on signals for new layout.

Unread postby joshs » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Forgot to mention on the Track diagram there should be ( 2 Extra points one on the curve in to platform 1 and a Point on the Down main conecting to the point on the curve leading in to Platform 1 ) to allow trains to leave platform 1 and gain the Down main or trains to be shunted out of platform 1 and placed into Platform 2 to release the Train Engine.

There would also be a FPL for both of these, The signals are already in place on the diagram for these routes.

Josh
joshs
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Adrian the Rock » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Unfortunately the image of the notepad is quite low-resolution so hard to read in detail, but here are a few thoughts based on what I can decipher.

I take it that the up line is the arrivals line, so there is right-hand running on the lines to/from the station. This would actually be very unusual for Britain, and in fact the general arrangement of the track layout would actually make more sense if the down line is for arriving trains. That way there are far less facing points, something the railways avoided wherever possible in the early days due to regulatory pressures.

There would almost certainly also be an outer home on the up main, as any shunting moves between the platforms and the carriage sidings or EHS would entail occupying the line outside 3/4/5/6 signals.

3/4/5/6 should also have an arm leading to P2; it's likely that 4/5/6 would be short arms or discs stacked above one another on a single doll.

You probably wouldn't have any signalling within the CS3/CS4 area except for one double-disc reading back into the platforms. 33 would be a hand point with no signalling. 17/18 and 20/21 would each just be a single arm or disc.
Adrian the Rock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:05 am

Is this station a version of the well-established "Minories" layout? If so, how much of the approach line is open to view?
(Note to Adrian: If the answer to my question is 'Yes', then the down line is the approach road rather than the up.)
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators