Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Southern Region Signals

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Re: Southern Region Signals

Unread postby JRB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:38 pm

...........and particularly Banbury with two brand new ones.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:35 am

Welsh Marches, Worcester, Shrewsbury and Banbury do not help with the question at all - which is about Southern Railway/Southern Region.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:02 pm

I think I'm correct in stating that one of the last, (if not very last), LSWR lower quadrant signals to be abolished was in 1980s at Exeter Central which became part of the Southern Railway and British Railways, Southern Region before the area was transferred to the Western Region in the 1960s.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Peter Gibbons wrote:I think I'm correct in stating that one of the last, (if not very last), LSWR lower quadrant signals to be abolished was in 1980s at Exeter Central which became part of the Southern Railway and British Railways, Southern Region before the area was transferred to the Western Region in the 1960s.

Yes, it may well have been (cue Chris . . .) but it had a WR enamel arm on it in later years.

Picture at http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/s/exetercentrala.php .

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Was that the signal which originally had a shunt dolly bracketed off the LH side of the post?
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Chris Osment » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:40 pm

John Hinson wrote:
Peter Gibbons wrote:I think I'm correct in stating that one of the last, (if not very last), LSWR lower quadrant signals to be abolished was in 1980s at Exeter Central which became part of the Southern Railway and British Railways, Southern Region before the area was transferred to the Western Region in the 1960s.

Yes, it may well have been (cue Chris . . .) but it had a WR enamel arm on it in later years.

Picture at http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/s/exetercentrala.php .

John

You rang ?

Yes, without having all the precise dates, I think that it almost certainly was the last. There were still quite a few around in the 1960s, and a very few 'later survivors' thereafter such as the Down (?) Distant at Eggesford, but the Exeter example was the best known. It did have a shunt disc on a small LH bracket at one time, for entry into the Down Sidings at the west end of the station, but that went along with the sidings in 1970 when the 'B' box closed and the 'A' box frame was shortened and re-locked.
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators