tony1955 wrote:Not really its a generic SR layout.
In the 1940s (and bear in mind that Southern Region
implies 1948 or 1949), the only places that could be accurately described as "generic SR" lay on the handful of new lines built by the Southern Railway (Wimbledon-Sutton, the Chessington branch, part of the New Romney branch, the Fawley branch, the rationalised lines in Thanet and the Allhallows twig, for example - Halwill-Torrington although new hardly qualified) plus the stations completely rebuilt or built new by the Southern Railway (Haywards Heath, Bromley North, Hayes, Seaton and Albany Park being just some examples of these).
Everywhere else was either pretty much a one-off or in a generic style of its pre-grouping owner (and in the case of the SE&CR, that meant the SER and LCDR), and, although there was occasional re-use of portable assets (Ryde St.Johns signal box comes to mind), it would be very rare for these styles to become inter-mixed.
By the late 1940s, most SR main lines had had much of their signalling updated on a piece-meal basis using generic SR items, and signals replaced post-c1930 would have been UQ, but on branch lines and secondary routes much pregrouping equipment, inevitably LQ in the case of signals, remained. There were, of course, pockets of colour light signalling too, for example in south-east and south-west London and on the outer part of the Brighton main line.