Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Signals attached to signal-boxes

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Re: Signals attached to signal-boxes

Unread postby scarpa » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:41 pm

From the SGE 1933 publication there was access from the south end of the signalbox and the east side of the box. Nearly every signal was accessed by this walkway except platforms 1,2 and 3. Some of the signals were cantilevered off the walkway supporting uprights and had a ladder at the rear,platform 10 and 11 platform starting signals.The gantry went right across to E route arrival signal, but E route departure signal 220 was installed on a cantilever,which remained in use until resignalling.The up main signal 15 was even attached to the north side gantry upright.Anyone requiring a copy of this publication either e mailed or a copy please contact me.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks for the further details scarpa.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby RDNA » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33 pm

There are photos here -

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms ... tr1911.htm

Showing one upright of a substantial signal gantry inside New Street No 5 box with the gantry appearing to rest on the box roof!

DB
RDNA
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:50 pm

What a remarkable photo. You certainly could not expect the thing to be resting on roof tiles though! It rather looks as though there is a substantial pillar inside the box below that end, so it would seem box is effectively built around that end of the gantry. I would suggest that even so, the signal is not so much attached to the gantry but that they are two overlapping structures with some degree of "give" between them. I would expect there was lead flashing around the upright where it emerged underneath the visible part of the gantry. I wonder how watertight it all was in practice.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators