Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Ely North Junction

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Re: Ely North Junction

Unread postby Richard Pike » Wed Sep 7, 2016 11:12 am

After a quick measure up the Ely simulation now covers 68.5 route miles of railway. The boundaries are Milton Fen, Kennett, Sutton, Lakenheath, Downham Market and Manea. I'm running out of places to add. Thoughts turn to a little something for Sutton then i can add a bit more on towards Earith Bridge, Bluntisham and Needingworth Junction.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John_S » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:26 pm

very impressive Richard - I also note that a 'simple' layout such as Soham contains quite a bit of interest!

By the way - I'm sure I've seen other film clips where one light of a colour light repeater appears to go out before the other illuminates; am I imagining things, or is it fairly common?
John_S
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:55 pm

It depends on each individual location and how it's wired. In this case My Soham 5 and 5R lamp indications have a separate relay for each indication. 5 RGPR lights 5 RGKE, 5 DGPR lights 5 DGKE etc. 5 RGPR picks over 5 DGPR down and vice versa.

I've recently had my hands in Spooner Row box. The distant lamp indications were given by a shelf relay up for yellow and a Post Office 3000 type relay up for green. With similar cross proving the indications should seem to be quite slow.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 pm

I've had a fantastic week at home with my 3 year old twin whilst Mrs P and the older kids have gone to Spain. I've had help from Eric, ex Melton Constable relief signalman, and we really have caught up with some maintenance. We have.

Replaced part of ENJ lead off bench
Cleared all the wire runs
Adjusted all the mechanical signals.
Lubricated the mechanical locking in ENJ
Dealt with two landslips that were threatening the wire run
rerouted several wires to improve their operation
Cleared out the 'manhole' on ENJ15 (ex ME37 platform mounted elevated dodd) It sounds an easy task but could only be carried out with the cooperation of it's residents, namely white tail bumble bees.
and numerous other little tasks.

The twins have survived uninjured although i may not when Mrs P sees the state of their clothes.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators