Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Ely North Junction

For railway modellers to discuss and share ideas on realistic signalling arrangements.

Ely North Junction

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:22 am

After many years of just plodding along with the little bit of railway i have an opportunity has arisen to add a bit more. Although it wont be 'controlled' it should add some interest as we will now be able to see trains coming and going for another seven miles or so on the March line.

The plan is to add this diagram on the back wall..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/10088608763/

Unfortunately it's not just a case of making the lights light up. Currently trains are 'dialled' into the system at Black Bank. My system then starts to send 'call attention' if the block is clear and once acknowledged sends the 'is line clear' code for the dialled in train. This part of the system need to remain but the 'dialled in' information needs to be sent and stored when the train passes Manea. The 'bits' of information then need to be handed over through three block sections before handing into the old system. The initial stage of drawings have shown that ninety new relays need to be added plus six new uniselectors. To complicate things just a little i have the bespoke barrier indicator from Chettisham box. This indicates six AHB's. Some of these are only 20 chains apart so the strike in are starting to get a little complicated. There will be a facility to replace some of the auto signals to cause a bit of fun/logjam etc.

If there is any interest i'll update with photo's etc as the works progress over the winter. I am currently at the drawing and part acquisition stage. Space has been found for it all too.

Edit to add.. This photo pretty much covers the new section to be added..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/6167473058/
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Ely North Junction

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 am

Yes please and in anycase I owe you a visit.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby beast66606 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:07 pm

Always interested in your stuff Richard.
Better to be thought a fool than to type a response that confirms it.

DAS
beast66606
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:17 pm

I've been aware of this photo for some time but have just noticed the second signal on the up road looks like a three aspect and the one beyond seems to be showing a red. That isn't how thing's are shown on the scheme plan i have. Am i seeing thing's?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/6167473058/
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:29 pm

I believe i am looking at CA922R, formerly CH1R then CA922 formerly CH1. Next is CA920R/CH2R then CA920/CH2, the latter being a four aspect and everything else is two according to the scheme plan i have. It really does look like CA920R is showing a red and CA922 is a three aspect.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:22 pm

I am inclined to agree with you, but a three aspect head van of course be configured as a two aspect signal.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:02 pm

I have been assured it is only capable of showing two aspects. What about the third signal along? Is that red or a smoky yellow?
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Richard Pike wrote:I have been assured it is only capable of showing two aspects. What about the third signal along? Is that red or a smokey yellow?

It looks on my screen to my eyes as a smokey yellow. which would suggest that it is a repeater of the signal just being passed by the train.

I have to say that a telephoto lens on this view certainly 'sees' a long way.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:32 pm

From S&T plan for work into operation 22/5/88:

All signals two-aspect except Chettisham Up Second Home/Down Home and Down Distant which all show R/Y/G. All other signals show R/G, or Y/G if repeaters.

In the picture, it looks as if the train is approaching or passing Signal 2 (with Ely North having not pulled his distant), which gives the correct set of indications behind it as described by Graham above.

The signal we see the back of must be M43R.

The photographer must be on Straight Furlong.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Such complicated goings on with some of these signals. One was converted Y/G to R/G and it's mate R/G to Y/G the former getting a new repeating distant and the latter becoming the repeating distant for a new auto signal. We suspect one was a distant for Furlong Drove then recontrolled to Black Bank then onto Chettisham and lastly onto Cambridge.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:38 pm

An impressive collection of grey location cabinets visible in that photo too.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Spot the upright object.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:25 am

Richard Pike wrote:Such complicated goings on with some of these signals. One was converted Y/G to R/G and it's mate R/G to Y/G the former getting a new repeating distant and the latter becoming the repeating distant for a new auto signal. We suspect one was a distant for Furlong Drove then recontrolled to Black Bank then onto Chettisham and lastly onto Cambridge.

Not really "complicated" - Chettisham was a simple box with latterly just a Home and Distant on the Up before the 1988 changes. Signals 1 and 1R had perviously been Black Bank's Up IBS but were almost certainly new signals when Furlong Drive was abolished in 1967.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Richard Pike » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:04 pm

The diagram has arrived and been made to work. It seems there was a modification to E and F track circuits and some wiring had been recovered. This had to be restored to it's original form. The diagram has now been mounted on the rear wall in ENJ. Three of the six uniselectors are stripped as are around twenty of the required 90 odd PO 600 type relays. More circuits have been drawn but i'm no further on with working out how long each track should be alight for.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32297024@N08/21846396974/

For some reason there seems to be a bit of a Mexican standoff in progress on the power supply indicator.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:21 pm

Another little complication is how you are going to work the train from March that turns using the West Curve then shunts at Chettisham :)
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Next

Return to Signalling - model railways/simulators