Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Bere Alston ground frame

Puzzles, fun and amusement

Bere Alston ground frame

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:10 am

All the talk of ground frames on the Callington branch makes me think of a curiosity at Bere Alston. I wonder why the WR had to make the ground grame at Bere Alston so difficult for guards to operate by installing it the wrong way round . . .

Photo: N L Cadge 24/2/79, collection of John Hinson
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bere Alston ground frame

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:45 pm

John Hinson wrote:All the talk of ground frames on the Callington branch makes me think of a curiosity at Bere Alston. I wonder why the WR had to make the ground grame at Bere Alston so difficult for guards to operate by installing it the wrong way round . . .

Photo: N L Cadge 24/2/79, collection of John Hinson

Not quite with you there, John. There are two levers in that frame. Lever 1, the FPL, is reversed and the guard has his hand clasping lever 2 and either pushing it back or pulling it. The GF is the same today. Yes I know it looks as if the catch handles are on the wrong side but I can assure you they are not........ :roll:
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:00 pm

Oh, darn it, you are right. Close examination of the original and I can see I have been deceived. So he has each hand on a different lever (and the right-hand catch-handle), how odd.

J
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Chris Osment » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:45 pm

John Hinson wrote:Oh, darn it, you are right. Close examination of the original and I can see I have been deceived. So he has each hand on a different lever (and the right-hand catch-handle), how odd.

J

You have to remember that they do things different down in Devon..... :P
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:10 pm

That guard would, almost certainly, have been very familiar with that ground frame and would have worked out for himself the quickest and easiest way of working it - which for him obviously meant one hand on each lever. Another guard would probably have taken the more traditional approach and worked each lever with two hands.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:55 pm

I worked that GF many times for its bi-annual tests during my time as SME Plymouth and always managed to throw the levers with one hand. The FPL and point end are right adjacent to the GF so hardly any weight on the levers :D
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Bit late joining in on this one. The guards already pulled FPL 1 over and is half way through pulling over point 2 before locking it again and departing for Gunnislake. The points here are very light and well maintained. I can be observed operating said frame right at the end of the Last Train To Callington DVD.
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:53 pm

As a comparison, at Wood Green No.4 Box on the ex-GNR main line in London's northern suburbs, Up local passenger trains from the Hertford North 'Loop' line, and from along the main line, usually all converged to depart from here on the Up Slow, with those from Hertford needing No.23 double-ended crossover in Reverse and locked by FPL 24, right outside the box, and the others arriving and departing on the USL needing those Normal; so the crossover was reversed one way or the other and relocked at least 4 - 6 times p.h. most hours, and so was very easy.
With a hand on each lever it was not difficult to complete all three lever movements in approx. 3.5 seconds !
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to Signalling amusement