Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Heaviest Elevated SB in the UK.

Puzzles, fun and amusement

Heaviest Elevated SB in the UK.

Unread postby MRFS » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:04 pm

I commented on another group that it was probably the 1946 brick box at Aldgate - can anyone come up with any other contenders?
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Re: Heaviest Elevated SB in the UK.

Unread postby scarpa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:51 pm

I think the largest and heaviest was Manchester Central, equipped with a GRS 128 lever frame. From the picture in Illustrated Signalling page 71 by Michael A Vanns compared to Aldgate twice the size.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:18 pm

The various boxes on the former L&SWR main/Windsor lines out of Waterloo must have been quite heavy after their roofs were armour plated as an ARP. Unfortunately someone forgot to remove it after the war ended with a predictable result.

The late Micky Sellars used to tell the story of how (as Shipping & Port Manager at Newhaven) he had to meet the Southern's Chief S&T Engineer off the afternoon boat arriving from Dieppe with the message that he was required to report immediately to the GM because "Clapham Junction A box had collapsed". Having been told to pull the other one, it's got bells on it, Micky produced an early edition of the Evening Standard with a photo of said box filling much of the front page - apparently the absolute look of incredulity on the man's face had to be seen to be believed.

It says a lot for the inherent professionalism of the bobbys in the box that they found time to put everything back and to send 6 in every direction before fleeing the floundering box.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:46 pm

I was there. Many other IRSE members were on the same boat coming back from the Convention. The SR members were teased mercilessly on the train up, especially when we passed Clapham on one of the two lines not blocked and had a good view of a steam crane holding one end of the box up. Happy days.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby scarpa » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:08 am

The Difference between Aldgate and Manchester Central they were brick and cement construction .Southern boxes were timber and Fenchurch Street metal and timber.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:00 am

Waterloo A would be a heavy contender with a very large mechanical frame although Nine Elms Junction with a smaller frame than Waterloo but a huge girder bridge
(much more substantial than those at Waterloo, West London and Clapham A) would have been very heavy.

The power frame boxes would not have been very heavy compared to the mechanical frames, West London's L frame would have been about 2 tons and Clapham A about 4 tons. Of course both West London and Clapham A were each previously fitted with two pneumatic frames which would have been heavier than the L frames by at least times 3.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling amusement