Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Kings Cross

Puzzles, fun and amusement

Kings Cross

Unread postby AN106 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Where is platform 9 3/4, and how was it signalled in 1971?

Seriously, a really labour of love to draw this out. Many thanks John!
AN106
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Kings Cross

Unread postby Richard Lemon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:39 pm

It must have been ETCS or TVM as there were no signals!
Richard Lemon
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:31 pm

One engine in steam.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Frank » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Hello,

Where is platform 9 3/4, and how was it signalled

this is a top secret feature of BR Scientists in cooperation with the MI-5.The platform is only with the correct Ticket (Time Key) accessible.
Then you pas a Einstein-Rosen Bridge and be in another Timeline where Kings Cross is a Station with Semaphores.

For Security Reasons the Mi-5 closed the Passage in 2015 8)
Frank
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm

I first encountered Platform 9 3/4 as a simple sign on the outside of the suburban station (the platform 9 side) before the rebuilding of Kings Cross.
I have been asked a couple of times by Japanese tourists to take their picture posing by it!

After rebuilding it is now a money making venture called the Harry Potter Shop in the big new concourse (on the other side of what had been the outside wall of the main station). It does have a postcode : London • N1 9AP, so as not to be confused with the railway station, N1 9AL

There is now also a platform zero

And for one day only (to coincide with the launch of a new film IIRC) Platform 9 was officially renumbered to platform 9 3/4.

I am of course using the current platform numbers - not those which prevailed in 1971!
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:42 am

I must admit that until now I hadn't a clue what all the 9¾ stuff was about.

Some interesting facts, though:
  • There was never a Platform 9 at Kings Cross until 1971. That drawing shows Platforms 4 and 9 to have been absent, but No4 was originally a half-length one alongside Platform 5. There was a centre siding between 8 & 10 which utilised the number of the missing No9 but I don't think it ever had a platform face.
  • There are at least two active members of this forum who worked at Kings Cross at the time of that diagram.

And thanks for the kind words, AN106. I think of all the drawings I have made, that must have taken the longest. Around 5 hours, but spread over three days to maintain my sanity.

Best regards,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Chris Osment » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:28 pm

John Hinson wrote:
And thanks for the kind words, AN106. I think of all the drawings I have made, that must have taken the longest. Around 5 hours, but spread over three days to maintain my sanity.

I know what you mean :-) I once did five different versions of Templecombe (No 2) Junction, after which I couldn't look at another drawing for weeks !
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby StevieG » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote: " I first encountered Platform 9 3/4 as a simple sign on the outside of the suburban station (the platform 9 side) before the rebuilding of Kings Cross.
I have been asked a couple of times by Japanese tourists to take their picture posing by it!

After rebuilding it is now a money making venture called the Harry Potter Shop in the big new concourse (on the other side of what had been the outside wall of the main station). It does have a postcode : London • N1 9AP, so as not to be confused with the railway station, N1 9AL .... "

Apart from Mike's first mentioned location of the "Platform 9 ¾ " sign, and its current one, for quite a while it moved around quite a bit, no doubt to the requirements of the then progressing station rebuilding, and I recall it, and its accompanying brickwork-embedded rear half of a luggage trolley, fixed in at least two other locations (I think it was actually three in total) along the way, one of which was in the walkway between platforms 8 & 9 under the West Side offices, with another being (rather unrealistically) in a wooden hut outside the Euston Road end of the East Side offices, near York Way.

By the time of the London 2012 Olympics it had arrived at its current location but was free to access and have photos taken at, with the oft-necessary queueing being organised, unlike now, by station staff, and having no connection with what is now the adjacent Harry P. shop which then was a small independent bookshop.

Incidentally I believe the sign's current site is on the outside of what had previously been the exterior wall of the station ; either that or it's in a similar position on the outside of the style-matched new part of the building constructed to finally fill-in the West Side offices' 'bomb gap' of 1941.
And when I worked at KX, I'm sure that the postcode was quoted as N1 9AP : Don't recall N1 9AL at all : Perhaps they have been changed in 28 years ! :D
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Steve West » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:15 am

Hi just to confuse the situation in the first Harry Potter film the entrants to "Platform 9 ¾ " was between Platforms 4 and 5 in one of the arches.

Steve
Steve West
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 am

JRB wrote:One engine in steam.

By 1971 steam had finished but electrification had not yet arrived - so surely that should have become One Engine in Fumes?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JRB » Mon Apr 3, 2017 10:23 pm

Hogwarts Express has always been steam hauled.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to Signalling amusement