Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Midland Rotary Block at Guiseley

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Midland Rotary Block at Guiseley

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Following on from my previous post, I have been in touch with a former lineman for that area and his recollection is that Guiseley Station box had "C" type instruments when it had a frame and that there was actually very little Rotary Block on the Wharfedale line. The obvious alternative for the picture would be Guiseley Junction where there certainly was Rotary.
Also, if the picture really was taken in 1992, it isn't Guiseley Station as the panel had been therefore several years by then.
Last edited by Pete2320 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Apparently line resistance was an issue, also interference from the National Grid, often a problem with earth return circuits.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks for your various comments, Pete,

Pete2320 wrote:Following on from my previous post, I have been in touch with a former lineman for that area and his recollection is that Guiseley Station box had "C" type instruments when it had a frame and that there was actually very little Rotary Block on the Wharfedale line. The obvious alternative for the picture would be Guiseley Junction where there certainly was Rotary.
Also, if the picture really was taken in 1992, it isn't Guiseley Station as the panel had been therefore several years by then.

I think you are correct - Norman's records are normally meticulous but on this occasion he seems to have re-visited Guiseley Junction for the sole purpose of photographing the instrument for its MR-inscribed dial after taking external views (only) at Guiseley. He did photograph the same instrument in 1991 but the pictures were under-exposed. And although there are a pair of pictures, I now think it is the same instrument photographed twice. Certainly Guiseley (station) had standard blocks and a panel by December 1993. Whilst there are no interior views of Guiseley on the date of the given photograph but external views suggest there is no frame.

Other 1991 views of Guiseley Junction confirm green dials on a pair of instruments but not on the other two sets. And guess what? All three have Welwyn Control winders. It is certainly beginning to look as if it was a srandard policy on the NE Region.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Thackley » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:29 am

Pete2320 wrote:
John Hinson wrote:
kbarber wrote:I have an idea this provision got mentioned on a thread here some little while ago, but can't find it at present. The suggestion was that it substituted for the co-operative LC release if an intermediate box were closed and you were working to a box that didn't have rotary block.

This sounds a plausible theory but for one thing - the box worked to Ilkley (a terminus) and Guiseley Junction, Shipley (the branch at a junction box) at this date so it seems neither adjacent box could switch out.

Likewise, Bradford Junction, Shipley, had a Welwyn for its sole surviving block but again it worked to Guiseley Junction on the Bradford line and I doubt that box switched out in that direction, if at all.

Study of other pictures shows this arrangement to be quite common in that area, possibly at every box with Rotary Block but I need to do a lot of study to be sure of that. But I think there is more to be learnt about this.

Best regards,

John

In the days when Guiseley had Rotary Block (and a frame!) it actually worked to Esholt Junction and Burley in Wharfedale. Burley certainly could switch out and I think Esholt could as well. I don't know what type of instruments were provided in these boxes. Esholt certainly had a couple of LNER(ND) standard instruments latterly, one for Apperley Junction but I can't remember what type of instruments worked to Guiseley.
In due course both Guiseley and Ilkley received panels and a penguin block. I can't remember in what order but presumably one of the penguins worked to a rotary instrument and in any case, Burley was still there for a while. But did Burley and Ilkley ever have rotary block?
So I think it possible that the winders were provided to cope with working to a non Rotary box but the electrical reasons may have also applied. Certainly they seem very widespread in the NER, possibly universal but that might only have applied latterly when many boxes had been abolished.

Slightly off topic, but I can confirm Esholt had LNER (ND) instruments for all 3 approaches. Apperley Jcn had a Penguin from Esholt, but that may have been put in when the junction was re-modelled and everything concentrated in the centre of the frame
Thackley
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:34 am

Appreciated, thanks.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous