Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Single Needle Instruments on the GN

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Single Needle Instruments on the GN

Unread postby Andrew Emmerson » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm

David,

I am not sure that you are completely right in suggesting that the Railway free telegram service ceased completely in 1967.

Perhaps the Shipping Division negotiated its own 'all you can eat' deal with the Post Office. It would make sense if they did.

The Southern Region network was indeed wide-ranging in the 1960s, although in 1967 several exchanges (Dartford, Dorking North, Eastbourne, Horsham, Redhill and Salisbury ) were still manual and could not be dialled. Other automatic exchanges (Brighton, Margate and Newhaven) could not be reached by dialling.

The German BASA system was marvellous. At its broadest extent it spread from Paris in the west to Rostov-on-Don in the east.

Andy Emmerson.
Andrew Emmerson
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Andrew Emmerson wrote:Perhaps the Shipping Division negotiated its own 'all you can eat' deal with the Post Office. It would make sense if they did.

I would have to admit that that possibility had crossed my mind. The old Southern Region Shipping & Continental Department was certainly a law until itself (1st class duty travel for all clerical staff, an unlimited number of free tickets for international travel each year and nightly sealed "diplomatic" bags to/from every continental office were but three examples that survived into 1969) and the Post Office certainly "piggy-backed" on the railway-owned radio facilities at the ports (Snargate Radio at Dover, for example) for ship-shore radio telephone links, so there could have been a mutual advantage agreement. If there was, it may have ceased when the SISD became effective in August 1969 (IIRC).
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby StevieG » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:36 pm

May I thank you Andrew Emmerson, for the wealth of information info your posts to this thread :
At the start of a fair proportion of your first(?), you wrote "I quote" : May I ask, quoting from what please ?

On 16/Jan/2017, Mackay wrote: " .... The LYR Signalling School folks at the NRM (ably led by Phil Graham) are hoping to arrange some electric telegraph demonstrations this year. Should be well worth seeing (and hearing...).
Neil "
I suspect that one event referred to by Neil took place at the NRM on Sat. 6th May this year, ably facilitated by Phil and NRM colleagues. This was one of the twice yearly 'York' meetings of the SRS organised by Richard Pulleyn, at which I gave a semi -ad hoc talk and demonstration of the SN telegraph based largely on my experiences of its use in the ex-GNR line signal boxes in and near London fitting its ladt few years, from 1968 onwards.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical