Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

'Train On Line' - East Putney

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

'Train On Line' - East Putney

Unread postby MRFS » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:16 am

Looking through the opening notice for Parsons Green and Putney Bridge in 1960, I came across this quote:
12. Block Signalling between Putney Bridge and East Putney
The 'train on line' lever circuit on the eastbound road will be removed and will be replaced by continuous track circuiting between East Putney starting signal and Putney Bridge

The block signalling between Putney Bridge and East Putney on the westbound road will be abolished. It will be replaced by continuous track circuiting between Putney Bridge and the overlap of East Putney home signal.

At the same time, the bell signal between Putney Bridge and East Putney on the westbound road will be abolished, and will be replaced by an audible warning which will sound in East Putne signal box as a train approaches WG. 15 with the route set and the signal lowered for a train to Wimbledon

What, exactly, was this 'train on line' lever - was it a form of direction lever working? I can't find anything in the Southern 1935 'brown book' or the 1947 LT signalling regs. Did Putney Bridge send on the bell description, East Putney pull the lever and then acknowledge the description? :?: :?:
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Re: 'Train On Line' - East Putney

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Mar 9, 2010 2:03 pm

I regret to say that by the time I visited East Putney it was continuous track circuiting and Putney Bridge box had become an IMR. East Putney had a Westinghouse train describer to Earls Court of the older LUL style hugh turn and push knobs. This was in use until the box closed.

Graham.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Mar 9, 2010 6:22 pm

I have a diagram for 1941 and this does not show anything abnormal. It is presently in rough form but in due course I will draw it up and scan it. (When I have finished wiring up the pair of block instruments occupying the desk!)

I wonder if you are misreading it, it could be read as [train on line] [lever circuit] rather than [train on line lever] circuit and may simply refer to the signal at East Putney being locked whilst there is a train is section?

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:08 am

I have posted the 1941 diagram at:
http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=456

Best wishes,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 am

That is an interesting diagram, I was under the impression that the c&p crossover was worked by the ground frame which was housed inside a typical LSWR ground frame hut at the Putney Bridge end of the down platform right up until the end of semaphore signalling, certainly from my days travelling to school from the station in 1966 the rodding was still in place from the ground frame, that of course doesn't mean that it was in use though.

In the box when I visited it in 1975 and well into colour light days lever 11 had a short handle and I assume that this released the ground frame. I never photographed the box which I strongly regret but I do have some tales to tell about the place. I will see whether I can remember the colour light era diagram which maybe of interest as a comparison.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:29 am

Fast Line Floyd wrote:That is an interesting diagram, I was under the impression that the c&p crossover was worked by the ground frame which was housed inside a typical LSWR ground frame hut at the Putney Bridge end of the down platform right up until the end of semaphore signalling, certainly from my days travelling to school from the station in 1966 the rodding was still in place from the ground frame, that of course doesn't mean that it was in use though.

In the box when I visited it in 1975 and well into colour light days lever 11 had a short handle and I assume that this released the ground frame. I never photographed the box which I strongly regret but I do have some tales to tell about the place. I will see whether I can remember the colour light era diagram which maybe of interest as a comparison.

The date on that diagram is the date the ground frame was abolished; the points were allegedly lifted 23/6/46 although mysteriously they are still shown on three subsequent diagrams I have for East Putney; the last being as recent as 1970.

Always more puzzles . . .

J
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am

I shan't bother with a diagram of the TCB era then as you have it. Certainly the c&p points were still there at the time of my last visit to the box but for the life of me I can't remember when that was but probably somewhere around 1977.

Graham.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby GregM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Wow, what a fascinating discovery this forum is!.

Whilst trying to remember the lever colour codes of a box I used to visit, a simple Google search not only turned this forum up, but a thread about the very box, East Putney.

Between about 1976-78/79 I used to work after school and every Saturday morning in the tiny newspaper kiosk inside the station, opposite the ticket office and naturally got to know the station staff quite well. One in particular interested me because he was a signalman, I still remember his name as clear as day, Charlie Weeks.

One Saturday as he walked through the station to clock on, Charlie suggested that when I close the shop up, I walk along the platform and call him from the phone on Signal 6, and he'd give me the ok to cross and come up to the box. For me, that started a couple of years of every Saturday afternoon operating the box while Charlie read his paper! I've often though about how many rules were broken.....

Days off school for any reason would also see me in the box, especially as I lived within eyesight of it, stressing about the rush hr volume and the habit Southern Region clearly had for sending no end of ECS around the loop from Clapham Jct which had to be dovetailed into the underground traffic.

I too so wish I had a few photographs of the box, the display and the frame, but I have none. At some point Charlie did give me three brass block instruments (two bell pushes and some sort of override switch) if anybody has a use for them. I also have a full paper roll of the diagram from the next box along at Point Pleasant which Charlie also managed to get me into (but despite being two up two down box there was very little action other than straight through).

Happy days, and fond memories - the diagram uploaded by John Hinson has brought back so many memories, although when I was it, it was colour light, but obviously the same lever layout.
GregM
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:34 pm

GregM wrote:Wow, what a fascinating discovery this forum is!.

Whilst trying to remember the lever colour codes of a box I used to visit, a simple Google search not only turned this forum up, but a thread about the very box, East Putney.

Between about 1976-78/79 I used to work after school and every Saturday morning in the tiny newspaper kiosk inside the station, opposite the ticket office and naturally got to know the station staff quite well. One in particular interested me because he was a signalman, I still remember his name as clear as day, Charlie Weeks.

One Saturday as he walked through the station to clock on, Charlie suggested that when I close the shop up, I walk along the platform and call him from the phone on Signal 6, and he'd give me the ok to cross and come up to the box. For me, that started a couple of years of every Saturday afternoon operating the box while Charlie read his paper! I've often though about how many rules were broken.....

Days off school for any reason would also see me in the box, especially as I lived within eyesight of it, stressing about the rush hr volume and the habit Southern Region clearly had for sending no end of ECS around the loop from Clapham Jct which had to be dovetailed into the underground traffic.
I too so wish I had a few photographs of the box, the display and the frame, but I have none. At some point Charlie did give me three brass block instruments (two bell pushes and some sort of override switch) if anybody has a use for them. I also have a full paper roll of the diagram from the next box along at Point Pleasant which Charlie also managed to get me into (but despite being two up two down box there was very little action other than straight through).

Happy days, and fond memories - the diagram uploaded by John Hinson has brought back so many memories, although when I was it, it was colour light, but obviously the same lever layout.

Thank you for that, I have been racking my brain trying to remember Charlie's surname, it was with and because of Charlie that one of my stories came about.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby GregM » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Graham - you were obviously also a local boy, I lived in Carlton Drive, backing onto the up platform.
GregM
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Moderator Note: In view of events that have occured in this area on 15 September 2017, this topic has been temporarily locked
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Return to Signalling - historical