Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Selby Pre Diversion

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Selby Pre Diversion

Unread postby Tom O'Flaherty » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:27 pm

Hello there,

I've been researching the former alignment of the ECML for some time now, and I wondered if anyone had a diagram of Selby before the section between Chaloners Whin and Barlby North Jn was closed in 1983. I have a modern day signalling diagram, but it's the area around Barlby I'm particularly interested in, and the fringes to the next box on the Hull line before they where also taken over some time around 1997. I have seen shots of the panel but Sadly none of them have enough detail for that area.

I'll be happy to arrange sensible payment if required.

Cheers!
Tom O'Flaherty
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Selby Pre Diversion

Unread postby ferroequine » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:32 am

I don't have any detail on Barlby (my interest in that section lies a few miles to teh north thereof) but I know some men who do and I will suggest to them that they have a look at this thread if they are still signed-up here.
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Tom O'Flaherty » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Many thanks.
Tom O'Flaherty
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby ferroequine » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:12 pm

One of them has advised me that he has nothing on the Selby/Barlby area (his detail interest lies elsewhere although not too far away) and I've yewt to hear back from t'other one.
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mackay » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:29 pm

There's an excellent illustrated article on Barlby North SB (complete with diagram) in the Railway Magazine for Oct 1955, pp671-675 and p722. The author was Norman Crump, who also wrote the LNER WW2 story "By Rail to Victory". Barlby North contained two frames, the York lines being covered by levers 1-55, and the Hull lines by levers 56-95 on the other side of the box.
Neil Mackay
Mackay
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Tom O'Flaherty » Fri Oct 2, 2009 4:48 pm

Ah thanks, but I was after the time when it was converted to TCB and controlled from initially from Selby South and moved not long after to Selby West. Interestingly a large stone block with a signal number belonging to the old Barlby box sill exists next to the crossing.
Tom O'Flaherty
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical