Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Stockton on the Forest - Signal Box to Garage

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Stockton on the Forest - Signal Box to Garage

Unread postby John Webb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:59 pm

While on holiday recently in Yorkshire, I came across this ex-box:

http://img4012.photobox.co.uk/262980191 ... a37c2c.jpg

It is sited at one end of Stockton on the Forest's main street 'The Village'. I believe it was a crossing box only - the nearest station was at Warthill, about half a mile away, according to my railway atlases of 'Pre-grouping' and 1955. The line was still open to passengers in 1955 - it was a former NER line off the Scarborough line at Earswick and ran through Stamford Bridge and Pocklington to a junction at Market Weighton

This was the only angle I could get a decent shot of the box due to trees and bushes around the edge of the property.

Interestingly there was a 'Sale Agreed' sign on display which said the property was called 'The Old Signal Box'. This apparently included the house behind but I could not find out more details.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Stockton on the Forest - Signal Box to Garage

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:58 pm

I suspect that this is the 'Warthill' that is listed in the SRS Register as 'garage/store.' And it looks rather a large structure to have just been a crossing box. Perhaps someone can shed more light on its history, and maybe provide a diagram.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks for that, Peter. If the station was at this point then it's possible the house behind the box is the station house - it certainly looked as if it could have been.

I'll have to try and lay my hands on the BR Past and Present series Vol 25 (East Yorks) - that may have something in?
John Webb
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:03 pm

If it is 'Warthill' then there are some pictures and possibly the vestiges of a diagram in one of the books on the Sand Hutton Light - Warthill was the junction between the standard and 18" - my NG books are a country away, so I can only be a vague help, sorry.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:47 pm

I've just done a 'Google' on 'Warthill station' and found a Wikipedia entry which also has a fine photograph showing, not only the box, but the station building and another house that adjoined the level crossing. The gabled roofs and broad eaves are typical of early NER architecture, and some similar buildings can be seen on the NYMR.

There is also a detailed Wikipedia entry about the Sand Hutton Light Railway.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Therefore it was more than just a 'crossing box' - from memory the layout was level crossing, couple of crossovers and the exchange yard with the Sand Hutton.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Warthill's claim to fame was as the first box in the country to have barriers instead of gates.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:20 pm

Presumably the NE mechanically-worked type?

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Following Peter's example I also 'Googled' and came across the estate agent's posting on this property at http://www.propertyfinder.com/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=505220007. I don't know how long this will remain available for viewing, but it has several more photos on it.

Transpires it was only the signal box for sale complete with planning permission for conversion into a single bed apartment! Sale was by informal tender due in by September 11th, so clearly as the sign said 'Sale Agreed' someone has bought it. I've not tried to find out how much it went for.
John Webb
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mackay » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Warthill's conventional gates were converted to "pole barriers" on Tue 23 Sep 1952 and attracted attention from the railway press (and the Railway Inspectorate - see MT29 files at the Kew Archives). They were worked by wheel. In addition to the level crossing, the box controlled the yard and released Warthill Road crossing, further along the line to Market Weighton.
At some stage the frame was replaced - whether before or upon installation of the barriers I'm not sure and would welcome infomation. Prior to this new frame, there had been a 16 lever Rly Sig Co frame of 1890, plus wheel, at the front (window side) of the building; the new 20-lever frame + gate wheel was at the back. Block post; sections were to Earswick and to Stamford Bridge in 1960.
Neil Mackay
Mackay
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:57 am

From a visit last week I can confirm this is indeed Warthill signal box, definitely a signal box controlling the adjacent station and yard in its day and not a gate box. Since the original question was asked it has been sold and further converted - the lower floor now has a window so is no longer a garage, and there is a low building attached to it (which could be considered as loosely resembling a railway carriage). It is still called "The Old Signalbox".

If you use a search engine for "Warthill signal box" you will find several images of the box as it once was, as well as post-closure pictures, which have no doubt appeared since the original posting.

The names of stations and boxes around this area are a little confusing. The most obvious station to serve Warthill is called Holtby - as has been noted Warthill would have served Stockton-on-the-Forest but of course in early days these villages may have been of different shapes and sizes.

The biggest puzzle to me was that Peter Kay's Signalling Atlas & Signal Box Directory lists two surviving boxes - Warthill and Warthill Road. We searched high and low for the latter but had to admit defeat. Ideas anybody?

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Signalling - historical