Railway signalling discussion

No 7 and Auxiliary Tablet Instruments.

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: No 7 and Auxiliary Tablet Instruments.

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:Thats because Photobucket decided to stop hosting pictures for free and suddenly and without warning started demanding to be paid for this service they had previously advertised as free.

Unless further changes have been made, I think you can still link TO images on their server/web site without restrictions.

What they are charging for is using their server as a free car park to display images on OTHER web sites. I don't think that is entirely unreasonable.

Best regards,

John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No 7 and Auxiliary Tablet Instruments.

Unread postby Chris Rideout » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Regarding the post from MRFS, this method of operation differs from the SR version. If you wanted to "lock in" to an intermediate ground frame or "liberate" from it, there was a complicated procedure involving a side handle with 5 positions and a "free" indicator alongside (or inside - not sure) the galvanometer needle casing. AFAIK there had to be both bell plungers held down simultaneously at the boxes either side to free the intermediate instrument handle. The man at the ground frame would also need to speak to both signalmen at the same time and hold the intermediate switch button down.

I was wondering if 2 hands were sufficient to do this!
Chris Rideout
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical