Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Nairn

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Nairn

Unread postby JRB » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 am

Possibly just something claimed for on expenses.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:16 am

Moderator Note
Gentlemen (and any Ladies). Please keep to the subject matter in hand and don't start to digress into silliness :roll:
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Control, along with Forres and Elgin going to Inverness in October - not 2024 to Edinburgh as per Section C.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Does that mean the crossings will be converted to CCTV or will the boxes remain as gate boxes?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Wards Road at Elgin becomes a CCTV crossing controlled from Inverness. Waterside at Forres is closed and replaced by a bridge. Forres and Elgin boxes are in the way of the new track at both locations and will be demolished immediately after closure.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:32 pm

The yellow peril seems not to actually mention the fact the line is re-aligned at Forres or give a mileage for the new station there - the mileage changes at the existing one.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mad Mac » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 pm

One point that has been raised elsewhere is that this work will leave Mauchline - Newton Junction and the line south of Girvan to Stranraer as the last bastions of single line in Scotland with a physical tablet or token.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:56 pm

What will happen to the tokenless block section between Elgin & Keith will that be converted to axle counters as well. ?
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 pm

KEVIN SMITH wrote:What will happen to the tokenless block section between Elgin & Keith will that be converted to axle counters as well. ?

There's a long story about that but the short version is that Keith to Elgin remains ScR Tokenless for now. The Highland workstation in Inverness has the first VDU based version of a tokenless instrument on the screen - who would have guessed that in the 1960s..?!

Mike Stone wrote:The yellow peril seems not to actually mention the fact the line is re-aligned at Forres or give a mileage for the new station there - the mileage changes at the existing one.
The new station is at 0m 15ch, ELR ANI2. There is still a change of ELR and mileage to the west of the station.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 am

Yes I agree this should interesting to see a ScR Tokenless block on a VDU screen I would like to know more when it is up and working.

However I think the very first time tokenless block of any kind was put on a VDU screen was in ASHFORD IECC in Kent which worked to Rye using the BR standard tokenless block system .
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:29 pm

KEVIN SMITH wrote: However I think the very first time tokenless block of any kind was put on a VDU screen was in ASHFORD IECC in Kent which worked to Rye using the BR standard tokenless block system .

...and still does.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 pm

KEVIN SMITH wrote:Yes I agree this should interesting to see a ScR Tokenless block on a VDU screen I would like to know more when it is up and working.

However I think the very first time tokenless block of any kind was put on a VDU screen was in ASHFORD IECC in Kent which worked to Rye using the BR standard tokenless block system .

Sorry, I tend to forget that the world doesn't stop at Marshall Meadows/Gretna Jn and that there are other - foreign - types of Tokenless Block.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Sat Oct 7, 2017 7:40 am

Just for the record, Nairn Forres and Elgin boxes all closed as planned in the early hours of this morning after the passage of 1A88 19:34 Edinburgh to Inverness (via Aberdeen). Reportedly Elgin has already (less than 8 hours later) been completely stripped and demolished to allow the extension of the loop to take place.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Craig » Sat Oct 7, 2017 9:24 am

KEVIN SMITH wrote:Yes I agree this should interesting to see a ScR Tokenless block on a VDU screen I would like to know more when it is up and working.

The actual tokenless instrument is a small domino module on the workstation desk, similar to the ones we use for LC controls etc, the white, green and red indications are shown on the workstation screen, I'm involved with the training of the staff for it on the simulator up there, we also have the simulator installed on our hardware at Motherwell, I'll see if I can get some shots of the screen later today, I'm also up there for commissioning the week after next so will get some pics of the real thing.
Craig
Crossing box
Crossing box

PreviousNext

Return to Signalling - historical