Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX


Railway signalling discussion

Nairn

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Unread postby Tulyar15 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:50 am

Roger Bell wrote:Many thanks for all the replies. By the way, does anyone know when tokenless block/key token working was introduced on the various sections - presumably replacing tablets?
Regards
Roger


I know Nairn box was abolished in the mid 1990's. I remember travelling between Aberdeen and Inverness during its last summer of operation. It was the last ex Highland Railway station where the block instruments were housed in the stationmasters office and the signalman had to cycle between the two cabins at either end of the platforms. As to the year I think it would be about 1994 or 5.
User avatar
Tulyar15
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Nov 9, 2007 11:59 am

Unread postby Roger Bell » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:03 am

I've just turned up a 1977 Sc R appendix and see that the apparatus at that time was only to be used Elgin - Millburn Junction which at that time comprised 3 token sections. (only 2 now as Tulyar says)
Also mentioned is a pouch adapter to take key tokens ( which answers one of my original queries!) I now wonder if this was the case on the rest of the former HR when the LMS installed KT on some sections.
Regards
Roger
Roger Bell
User avatar
Roger Bell
Branch line box
Branch line box
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Nov 9, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: North West Norfolk

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 am

Tulyar15 wrote:I know Nairn box was abolished in the mid 1990's. I remember travelling between Aberdeen and Inverness during its last summer of operation. It was the last ex Highland Railway station where the block instruments were housed in the stationmasters office and the signalman had to cycle between the two cabins at either end of the platforms. As to the year I think it would be about 1994 or 5.

10/4/00 according to a very good web site . . .
http://www.signalbox.org/sectionc.php?year=2000

John
Image
‹(•¿•)›
User avatar
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6801
Joined: Thu Nov 8, 2007 1:13 pm
Location: at my computer

Unread postby StevieG » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:22 pm

As I recall, the 'famed bicycle' in latter times gained recognition as an essential provision and official company asset, even ending up resplendent in the official Railtrack house colours of green with gold Gill Sans company name lettering : Yet another proof, as if any were needed, that the HR signalling arrangements continued beyond RT's April 1994 acquisition of the railway network.
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box
 
Posts: 3013
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:30 am
Location: ex-GNR territory in N. Herts.

Unread postby SDL » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:27 pm

Roger Bell wrote:By the way, does anyone know when tokenless block/key token working was introduced on the various sections -


Here are the commissioning dates, courtesy of the SRS Paper on ScR Tokenless Block:

30/11/1969: Dyce Jcn. - Inverurie
07/12/1969: Inverurie - Insch
06/12/1970: Kennethmont - Huntly
13/12/1970: Huntly - Keith Jcn.
11/11/1973: Keith Jcn. - Elgin

presumably replacing tablets?


Mainly Absolute Block. The line was mostly double track before Tokenless Block came along. It still is between Insch and Kennethmont.
SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
User avatar
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Nov 9, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: In the Drawing Office

Unread postby Keith » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:06 pm

Roger Bell wrote:I've just turned up a 1977 Sc R appendix and see that the apparatus at that time was only to be used Elgin - Millburn Junction which at that time comprised 3 token sections. (only 2 now as Tulyar says)

Actually the reduction from 3 to 2 occurred between the 18/7/1987 and 31/10/1987 revisions of the appendix, when Inverness was resignalled and the section from Nairn (West) became TCB.
Keith
User avatar
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:44 am
Location: approximately 436 miles from Keith, bearing 165

Unread postby Keith » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:14 pm

SDL wrote:
presumably replacing tablets?


Mainly Absolute Block. The line was mostly double track before Tokenless Block came along. It still is between Insch and Kennethmont.


The only exception was Keith Jn (fame at last! :D) to Elgin, which was always single track. The simple rule was GNSR double, HR single.
Keith
User avatar
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:44 am
Location: approximately 436 miles from Keith, bearing 165

Unread postby SDL » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:24 pm

Keith wrote:Actually the reduction from 3 to 2 occurred between the 18/7/1987 and 31/10/1987 revisions of the appendix, when Inverness was resignalled and the section from Nairn (West) became TCB.


Millburn to Nairn was converted from ET to TCB on 08/03/1987, the day that Inverness S.C. opened.
SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
User avatar
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Nov 9, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: In the Drawing Office

Unread postby Keith » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:29 pm

SDL wrote:Millburn to Nairn was converted from ET to TCB on 08/03/1987, the day that Inverness S.C. opened.

Thanks - I hoped someone would have the exact date - and I never did trust the Appendix to be entirely up to date!
Keith
User avatar
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:44 am
Location: approximately 436 miles from Keith, bearing 165

Unread postby Tulyar15 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:16 am

Digressing slightly, the lads at Bo'ness have done a grand job in restoring their Swindon DMU - the only survivor (apart from a buffet car on the GC) of the DMU's built at Swindon in the 1950's.
User avatar
Tulyar15
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Nov 9, 2007 11:59 am

Unread postby Alan Johnston » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:34 pm

Here's a few shots of the signalman's area in the station building at Nairn pre-abolition of East/West boxes.

A real mix of old and new technolgies:
Image

The little signalling panel:
Image

And the remaining slot lever!
Image

Note there's still a bit of carpet covering the only space!

Best Regards
Alan
User avatar
Alan Johnston
Branch line box
Branch line box
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:48 pm

Unread postby Allan Lewis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Nice photos - shame about the 'computer style screen'!!
Allan Lewis
Branch line box
Branch line box
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: SALE, CHESHIRE

Unread postby Keith » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:51 pm

I don't think Nairn ever went through the stage of having "Radio Token Block" (note this is not RETB - it was used on the far north line while RETB was being developed), which was claimed to have the oldest computer peripherals in the world - as computers provided the interface between the token instruments and the radio.
Keith
User avatar
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:44 am
Location: approximately 436 miles from Keith, bearing 165

Unread postby Alan Norris » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:54 pm

Smallest ever frame?
User avatar
Alan Norris
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Stirling

Unread postby Roger Bell » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:21 pm

Keith wrote:I don't think Nairn ever went through the stage of having "Radio Token Block" (note this is not RETB - it was used on the far north line while RETB was being developed), which was claimed to have the oldest computer peripherals in the world - as computers provided the interface between the token instruments and the radio.


I think the radio working of token instruments was instigated as the result of severe gales bringing down lots of poles on the Far North line. GPO phones were used immediately after the gales with OTW tokens or staff and ticket - does anyone have more info on this period before RETB?
Roger
Roger Bell
User avatar
Roger Bell
Branch line box
Branch line box
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Nov 9, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: North West Norfolk

Next

Return to Signalling - historical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests