Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Stourbridge - Hartlebury Signalbox History

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Stourbridge - Hartlebury Signalbox History

Unread postby northpolebobby » Thu Dec 5, 2013 9:29 pm

Having worked both Hartlebury and Kidderminster boxes in the late 1970's, I have various photos if anyone is interested in them.
I would be unstoppable if I could get going!
northpolebobby
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:40 am

Save our signal box wrote:A very late update on the Churchill and Blakedown Box. After an unbelievably long process, we have finally taken the Box down, and the materials are in storage until we get the funds to put it all back together again. Huge thanks to Network Rail for their support (financial and physical) in taking it down - the contractors who have carried out similar work at the Black Country Musem took 9 days and 2 overnight possessions to take it all apart, working under NR supervision (which was a bit of a shock to the system!) - they all did a great job.

We've got planning permission to rebuild the Box just behind the station platform in a garden on the other side of the road - so we're moving it about 40 feet in total. Community Housing have agreed to give us the land; now we just need the money. Target completion date - end of March 2014 - so fingers crossed for a mild winter. It won't be totally in it's original state - it'll be used as a community meeting room / museum / store, and will be modified to allow, for example, disabled access - but we'll keep it as close to the original in appearance as we can, given the site and the consideration of its neighbours.

I'll let you know when it's finished and receiving visitors.

Thank you all for all your help in providing information, advice and experience.

Best regards,

Sue

An update on this . . .

The project is nearly finished and the box will be "opened" on 23rd October 2016.

They have a web site at https://churchillandblakedownsingnalbox.wordpress.com/ although at present it does not seem to show arrangements for visits.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Danny252 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:07 am

The box has now been set up as a Cyber Cafe, and is also available to hire as a party venue, whilst also being home to the historical society. I'm not sure how they've managed to squeeze all of that into a relatively small signal box!

From a couple of photos of the interior, I haven't been able to spot any items of special interest to signalling enthusiasts, although perhaps there are some exhibits not shown.

The 'box has an online presence at:
https://churchillandblakedown.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Blakedownsignalbox/
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical