Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Worcester MAS

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Worcester MAS

Unread postby kevindoig » Sun May 1, 2011 8:08 pm

About 20 years ago I regularly traveled from Worcester to Evesham and I'm sure I recall some MAS signals between Worcretsr and Norton Juntion on a gantry extending from the down side, but the signals were not operational, being covered and with white crosses. Some years later I traveled along that bit of line again and the gantry was gone. Is my memory failing me or what?
kevindoig
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Worcester MAS

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Sun May 1, 2011 8:12 pm

No, your memory is not failing you. There was a plan to abolish Norton Junction Box and work it from Worcester and the signals you recall were erected for that very purpose. But the scheme was cancelled at the last minute and Norton Junction Box remains operational.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun May 1, 2011 10:44 pm

....and for information on that abandoned scheme see here:
https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/archivesignals/brwr.php#woster

Edited to amend link (04/03/2018)
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mad Mac » Mon May 2, 2011 6:55 pm

Given the numbering used, I presume the ultimate intention was to add this to Gloucester?
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Chris Morris » Thu May 12, 2011 7:38 pm

I too can remember the new signals in position regarding this scheme.

It seems unthinkable now that single lines from Worcester Shrub Hill to Evesham & Abbotswood were very close to becoming reality.

Wasn't there a similar scheme involving single lines in to Worcester from the Droitwich direction also on the agenda at one stage? If true then there's a certain irony that the existing double line couldn't cope with current traffic & new IB signals have been installed on this section fairly recently.
Chris Morris
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby mewstone » Sun Mar 4, 2018 2:39 pm

I was discussing this abandoned scheme to abolish Norton Junction Signal Box today. I am sure some time ago I heard, or read, that the scheme was abandoned due to an incident that had occurred on another region. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to the details of what happened to cause this to be cancelled at the last minute?
mewstone
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby mewstone » Sun Mar 4, 2018 6:04 pm

I have just discovered that it appears there were 2 different re-signalling schemes for Norton Junction. The first was January 1990, Notice No 37, Closure of Norton Junction Signal Box. The second scheme was in 1994 and is referred to in the book "The Worcester Patch" as having been cancelled due to uncertainty about whether the SSI had been installed in accordance with the specification. This "1994" scheme was to see the total abolition of the junction at Norton, with two single lines. One to Evesham and the other to Abbotswood. I was wondering if anyone has details as to what the 1994 scheme comprised,
of as the link above, http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/archivesignals/brwr/1990-37.pdf, does not appear to work ?
mewstone
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun Mar 4, 2018 7:07 pm

Here is the link on the SRS Website to all the BR Western Region signalling notices:
https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/archivesignals/brwr.php#woster

Can't see anything in the RAILTRACK section for 1994.

In the back of my mind I think I remember this scheme and the 1994 work may have just been the second attempt at commissioning the 1990 version. Remember, around that time BR/RT were struggling with the post Clapham issues and lots of schemes were deferred/cancelled completely.

Think you are getting a bit confused between the two issues.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby mewstone » Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:40 am

S&TEngineer wrote:Can't see anything in the RAILTRACK section for 1994.

In the back of my mind I think I remember this scheme and the 1994 work may have just been the second attempt at commissioning the 1990 version. Remember, around that time BR/RT were struggling with the post Clapham issues and lots of schemes were deferred/cancelled completely.

Think you are getting a bit confused between the two issues.

Many thanks for the clarification
mewstone
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Cotswolder » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Out of interest does anyone know when the signal structures associated with these abortive schemes were finally recovered? Those at Norton Junction were still in situ at the end of year 2000/early 2001.
Cotswolder
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical