Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Bletchley Flyover

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Bletchley Flyover

Unread postby MusicalPuffer » Thu Aug 4, 2011 12:23 pm

When was it commissioned and what boxes controlled it? (no mention in the 1960 SA).

Many thanks,

Martin Keall.
MusicalPuffer
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Bletchley Flyover

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Aug 4, 2011 5:06 pm

MusicalPuffer wrote:When was it commissioned and what boxes controlled it? (no mention in the 1960 SA).

I don't have the exact date, I'm afraid, but it was part of the great "let's spend money on white elephants" 1955 Modernisation Plan so I suspect late fifties or maybe even early sixties. I think early sixties as I remember it being opened in a great blaze of publicity and doubt my memory goes back before 1960. It was doomed from day one because they made their first attempt to close the Oxford line in 1959.

Three boxes controlled it:
  1. Fletton's Sidings - a replacement BR box
  2. Fenny Stratford - existing box
  3. Denbigh Hall - a replacement BR box

The junction in the middle was initially controlled by Fletton's.

All boxes were initially going to be retained with the West Coast Main Line resignalling, but late in the day, four panel boxes were chosen for Rugby and south and the two new boxes closed in 1965 after a very short life. Fenny, of course, survived until much more recently.

Its remarkable survival is due to the original connection with the Fast Lines being removed after passenger services finished.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu Aug 4, 2011 6:00 pm

Possibly worth mentioning that I noticed this morning the connection from Denbigh Hall Jcn was under possession - has it deteriorated to unusability?
Last edited by Mike Stone on Sat Aug 6, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Fri Aug 5, 2011 7:07 pm

The lines between Fenny Stratford, Denbigh Hall Junction and Swanbourne Sidings are being transferred from control from Bletchley PSB to Marston Vale SCC in May 2012 (there is no resignalling as such, only recontrol). Denbigh Hall Junction is being re-engineered to have its existing point control converted to HW point machines prior to that event. This is Phase 3B(ii) of the main project that abolishes Bletchley PSB at Christmas/New Year 2012. The main Bletchley (WCML) area will then be controlled from the Bletchley workstation at Rugby SCC.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Pannier Tank » Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:01 pm

MusicalPuffer wrote:When was it commissioned and what boxes controlled it? (no mention in the 1960 SA).

Many thanks,

Martin Keall.

I believe the flyover was commissioned around 1961.
Last edited by Pannier Tank on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

David
Pannier Tank
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby edwin_m » Fri Aug 5, 2011 9:21 pm

The East-West Rail project is looking at putting a platform on the flyover and running passenger trains from Oxford and Aylesbury to MK and Bedford. There is even talk of using it for freight from the WCML and MML to avoid London... now where have I heard that before?
edwin_m
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Keith » Fri Aug 5, 2011 9:44 pm

http://clutch.open.ac.uk/schools/eaton- ... vices.html claims the flyover was in use "by mid-1960".
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby euryalus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 pm

I think it is quite odd that, although the "Oxbridge" route has featured in a number of books and articles, including a recent Steam Days article (March 2012), nobody seems capable of saying when it was actually opened! (I must have a look at "Times-on-Line").
euryalus
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 pm

According to the book 'The Oxford to Cambridge Railway' (Oxford Publishing Company 1981, ISBN 86093 120 X) the flyover was approved as part of the 1955 modernisation scheme to have a new marshalling yard at Swanbourne. The book states that construction of the flyover commenced in September 1958 and that it was opened in 1962.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby euryalus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:50 pm

I know it was part of the Orbital freight route that had been planned in the 1950s, but I am still unsure when it was opened. If it was 1962, there would surely have been at least some mention in The Railway Magazine - there was, for example, a short article on the completion of the Rugby Flyover.
euryalus
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby actonwells » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Just found this useful thread,

I have just acquired four BR(M) plastic lever plates:

Starting Dn. Flyover to Denbigh Hall

Home Up Flyover from Denbigh Hall

Trap Up Flyover

FPL.s for Nos. 18b and 21b points

From the discussion so far, are these plates from the new box at Flettons? They presumably refer to the Junction on the Flyover itself between the Fenny Stratford lines and Denbigh Hall. Are there any drawings of the diagram for Flettons box?
Ines.
actonwells
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical