Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Claydon L&NE Junction

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Claydon L&NE Junction

Unread postby RDNA » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 am

There's a photo taken from a railtour in November 1973 at Claydon L&NE Jct. on the RCTS mystery photos site.

HERE http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?page=1&serial=18&img=G-224-34

It appears that the train is on the fixed diamonds of a double junction which has made me wonder when the line from there to Aylesbury was singled?

Any comments welcome.

Dave
RDNA
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Claydon L&NE Junction

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 pm

The group of pictures contains one of the best pictures i've seen of Swanborne sidings.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:36 pm

RDNA wrote:It appears that the train is on the fixed diamonds of a double junction which has made me wonder when the line from there to Aylesbury was singled?

1967, I suspect. Definitely by 1975 as I have a dated dfrawing of L&NE Junction for then. Are the pictures dated, even approximately?

Richard Pike wrote:The group of pictures contains one of the best pictures i've seen of Swanborne sidings.

If that's the best, I should hate to see the worst. Personally, I prefer this one:
http://shop.studio433.co.uk/index.php?r ... uct_id=947
. . . although I have to admit to being biased.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby RDNA » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 pm

RDNA wrote:It appears that the train is on the fixed diamonds of a double junction which has made me wonder when the line from there to Aylesbury was singled?

Signalman wrote

"1967, I suspect. Definitely by 1975 as I have a dated dfrawing of L&NE Junction for then. Are the pictures dated, even approximately?"

It's thought to be 10th November 1973, see http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/731110br.html

Dave
RDNA
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:29 pm

signalman wrote:

1967, I suspect. Definitely by 1975 as I have a dated dfrawing of L&NE Junction for then. Are the pictures dated, even approximately?

Richard Pike wrote:The group of pictures contains one of the best pictures i've seen of Swanborne sidings.

If that's the best, I should hate to see the worst. Personally, I prefer this one:
http://shop.studio433.co.uk/index.php?r ... uct_id=947
. . . although I have to admit to being biased.

John

Indeed. I found your one just after posting. The accolade passes to your picture for certain. Did you get any pictures of the inside?
Richard..
Richard Pike
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:08 pm

Richard Pike wrote:Indeed. I found your one just after posting. The accolade passes to your picture for certain. Did you get any pictures of the inside?

No - it was a bit of a dump and rather shady. It didn't have the appeal you imply! I do have a diagram layover somewhere, I think.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:13 pm

RDNA wrote:It's thought to be 10th November 1973, see http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/731110br.html

Interesting! I reckon the line was singled December 1967 but I had a niff that those pictures are 1970s which rather suggests that Claydon L&NE Junction wasn't simplified until later.

Or is that an illusion? If you look at the picture at http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mystery ... =19&page=1 the rear coach of the train appears to be traversing the crossover which would suggest the single-lead layout is present.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Steve » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 pm

I was a (youngish) volunteer at Quainton in '73, and the BR line through there was certainly single then and had been for a while.

As has been suggested, it sounds like the line was singled earlier but changes to the layout at Claydon may have been minimised at that time.

SJG.
Steve
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:54 pm

From my 1971 notebook. Date noted as 09/1971 http://cbrailways.co.uk/PhotoAlbums/alb ... ion001.jpg
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 pm

My one and only visit to the mechanical box at Claydon L&NE Junction was around 81 or 82. Was the track layout the same then? When did Swanbourne Sidings close?
Richard..
Richard Pike
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby WembYard » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Richard Pike wrote:......When did Swanbourne Sidings close?

29th July 1984 according to my notes; strangely enough Swanbourne Sidings cropped up in the conversation I was having with one of my colleagues just a couple of hours ago :o

Claydon L&NE Jn box was replaced by the current "portakabin" on 30th September 1985 but I do not know if any alterations to the track layout took place at that time.
Signal box photos dating from the 1970s here, many more to be added when time permits.
WembYard
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby actonwells » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:24 am

Im going for late 60's for singling, 1967 could be about right! I have the illuminated diagram (one of the smallest illuminated diagrams i have seen!) from the box, i took off the overlay and found the original diagram in good condition underneath. I will have a look tomorrow and see if its dated. It shows the Aylesbury line singled and working to Marsh Gibbon and Poundon and Claydon Crossing.
actonwells
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:04 am

Richard Pike wrote:My one and only visit to the mechanical box at Claydon L&NE Junction was around 81 or 82. Was the track layout the same then? When did Swanbourne Sidings close?

The only changes I know of that occurred between the singling of the curve (I'm now thinking December 1967) and abolition were:
  1. c1978, when the siding parallel to the single line on the curve (the old Down line) was abolished, creating four additional spares. This was in connection with the new ground frames for the GLC's new London Pride site at Calvert
  2. c6/85, when the line to Bicester was singled. This was probably just signalled in a temporary manner because that's what the new box was built for.
Claydon L&NE Junction new box, 1985. Photo: John Hinson

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby RDNA » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:57 pm

I wrote

It appears that the train is on the fixed diamonds of a double junction.......http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mystery ... g=G-224-34

Signalman wrote

Or is that an illusion? If you look at the picture at http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mystery ... =19&page=1 the rear coach of the train appears to be traversing the crossover which would suggest the single-lead layout is present.

I think that it is an illusion John, on closer inspection the object in the bottom right of the photo, that I took to be the six foot rail of the down main looks very rusty, it must be just resting on the ends of the timbers.

Dave
RDNA
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby actonwells » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:47 pm

The only changes I know of that occurred between the singling of the curve (I'm now thinking December 1967) and abolition were:

1.c1978, when the siding parallel to the single line on the curve (the old Down line) was abolished, creating four additional spares. This was in connection with the new ground frames for the GLC's new London Pride site at Calvert

I have checked my diagram and its undated! The overlay would have dated from the removal of the siding you mentioned John in 1978
actonwells
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical