Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Old South Bank Terminal, London

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Old South Bank Terminal, London

Unread postby Lovelock-Crewe » Mon Aug 6, 2012 10:41 am

There was showing again repeats of The Professionals, with Mr Hudson the Butler from Eaton Place (Upstairs Downstairs) as George Cowley, the head of CI5, from the 1970s. He referred to The Old South Bank [Rail] Terminal and indeed shots were shown of the sidings. I have tried to google this without success. Does anyone know what this Terminal was form. The tracks were rusty in the programme.
Lovelock-Crewe
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Old South Bank Terminal, London

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Aug 6, 2012 11:57 am

It's the old Bricklayer's Arms Goods depot in SE London that they used in several episodes. I can't remember where I was told that, but as a former resident of SE London I had suspected that's where it was. I have no information as when the depot finally closed.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Aug 7, 2012 11:41 am

Careful, they also used Chelsea basin on at least one occaision.

Graham
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby DY444 » Tue Aug 7, 2012 3:24 pm

... and the sidings at the top end of Stewarts Lane yard near Grosvenor Bridge featured in one episode
DY444
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Lovelock-Crewe » Wed Aug 8, 2012 1:41 pm

I think they also used Thornton Fields Carriage Sidings in one episode.
Lovelock-Crewe
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Chris Rideout » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:55 pm

John Webb wrote:It's the old Bricklayer's Arms Goods depot in SE London that they used in several episodes. I can't remember where I was told that, but as a former resident of SE London I had suspected that's where it was. I have no information as when the depot finally closed.
Not too sure but I think it was 1984. I was in that area in early 1989 to buy some parts for my taxi. I think the spare parts were being sold from premises that were once the stables for the railway delivery services which had horses and carts until the 1950s. Whether or not the track was still in situ in 1989 I cannot remember. The whole area was run down and decaying. It had certainly seen better days.
Chris Rideout
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Romsey » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Chris Rideout wrote:
John Webb wrote:It's the old Bricklayer's Arms Goods depot in SE London that they used in several episodes. I can't remember where I was told that, but as a former resident of SE London I had suspected that's where it was. I have no information as when the depot finally closed.
Not too sure but I think it was 1984. I was in that area in early 1989 to buy some parts for my taxi. I think the spare parts were being sold from premises that were once the stables for the railway delivery services which had horses and carts until the 1950s. Whether or not the track was still in situ in 1989 I cannot remember. The whole area was run down and decaying. It had certainly seen better days.

I seem to remember it was about 1982/3 that wagon load freight finished at Bricklayers Arms. It was used for Collection and Delivery parcel traffic until late 1981 when BR gave up that traffic.
Most of the station and depot area was cleared about 1990/1991 as my wife was the Ordnance Survey surveyor who recorded the demolition. Some stables were still in use as a private riding school at that time.

Cheers, Neil
Romsey
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical