Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Bridlington station working

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Bridlington station working

Unread postby yorksman » Mon Sep 2, 2013 7:53 pm

Hello,
I'm hoping someone who knows the situation at Bridlington might be able to help with this.
Before 1983 Bridlington had pairs of through platforms in up and down directions numbered 1 and 2 for down trains, and 4 and 5 for up trains. On the main up platform 5 there was a trailing connection to the goods yard which was released by ground frame from Quay Box. I have seen footage of freight trains setting back along 5 into the yard. Did they enter the platform from the south?
The pick up goods to and from Scarborough would service the Quay end warehouse, goods yard and coking sidings en route but this was discontinued in the 70s and the yard was just served by the Hull trip which came from the south. In 1977 the goods warehouse was closed and the connection to the yard was brought under direct control of Quay box. An acceptance lever was provided to accept trains in the down direction along 5 from South Box. Was this lever installed after 1983 or before? If so, there appears to be no signalling for this move at the South Box end. After 1983 the Hull trip would pull into platform 7 and then shunt back to Bessingby sidings to run round before propelling along the excursion lines to the up main backing doll for 5. This doll had originally applied to platform 2 so there was no signalled route for backing movements onto 5.
Before 1983 did freights originally run round and then propel through 1 or 2 up to Quay box to gain the up line and then move forward into 5?
This seems a very long way to do the job.
Any insights into this would be useful.
yorksman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Bridlington station working

Unread postby yorksman » Tue Sep 3, 2013 11:48 am

Here are two photos I found of the goods yard connection showing an Up train arriving on 5 and a freight leaving the yard. The doll for the point was under the footbridge.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N ... 130808490/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N ... 187339422/
yorksman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:16 pm

yorksman wrote: An acceptance lever was provided to accept trains in the down direction along 5 from South Box. Was this lever installed after 1983 or before? If so, there appears to be no signalling for this move at the South Box end. After 1983 the Hull trip would pull into platform 7 and then shunt back to Bessingby sidings to run round before propelling along the excursion lines to the up main backing doll for 5. This doll had originally applied to platform 2 so there was no signalled route for backing movements onto 5.
Before 1983 did freights originally run round and then propel through 1 or 2 up to Quay box to gain the up line and then move forward into 5?
This seems a very long way to do the job.
Any insights into this would be useful.

I think some of this may depend on at what date. I suspect the acceptance levers were provided when the layout at Quay Crossing was rationalised in connection with the singling of the line north to Hunmanby. At about the same time the signalling at South was rationalised and after this there certainly were signals reading "facing road" through platforms 4 and 5. These signals (discs) are visible in this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N ... 3187339422
Adjacent to the up second home, off for the DMU, is the signal reading into bay platform 6 (from the up main, main and calling on arms) at the foot of which are the two discs reading facing road through platforms 4 and 5. They are still there but platform 4 is now the down main line.
Incidentally there were also acceptance levers in Bridlington South box for platforms 1 and 2 but these were only for moves from the stub of the former down main north of Quay Crossing. I have it in mind that these were never used, perhaps not commisioned.
By the way, are you sure the pick up goods ran to Bridlington as late as 1983. If it did it would not have been for much longer.
Irrelevant I know, but I have memories of the coal yard occasionally being shunted by a DMU :o .

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby yorksman » Tue Sep 3, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for that Pete, I agree that the acceptance lever in Quay box may be a later addition, was it after 1983? I saw the acceptance levers in South Box in 1982 and the signalman at the time said they were used, but I don't know the exact procedure.
The dolls in the picture apply to platforms 1 and 2 (I discovered this in the WON for 7th December 1974) and only applied to 4 and 5 after the abandonment of 1 and 2 in March 1983. I can imagine that Quay box could have handled up and down freights in the old full layout with the crossovers and scissors. After the singling in 73 the daily trip ran to and from Hull, not beyond Brid, so I'm told.
The last trip ran in Summer 1984 which was a 47 with 20 wagons (mostly coming from Beverley) on the final day.

DMUs were stored in the yard on Sundays as every available space was used for storing trains in the Summer. I can imagine that they were used to move the odd wagon or two as well. The signalmen had a Sunday split shift and would take a near 3 hour break then open up at 1630 for the great surge home of excursions etc.
yorksman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Sep 4, 2013 1:11 pm

yorksman wrote:The dolls in the picture apply to platforms 1 and 2 (I discovered this in the WON for 7th December 1974) and only applied to 4 and 5 after the abandonment of 1 and 2 in March 1983.

I have grave doubts about that. My recollection of the pre 1983 layout had no track to make this move and I suspect the road bridge and platforms would have made any such connection impossible. I really think this may be a mistake in the WON. As luck has it I'm going to Brid this afternoon so I'll have a quick look.
and
After the singling in 73 the daily trip ran to and from Hull, not beyond Brid, so I'm told.

I think by the time the line was singled there were no freight facilities north of Brid.
and
The last trip ran in Summer 1984 which was a 47 with 20 wagons (mostly coming from Beverley) on the final day.

Sounds reasonable. Beverley was the last goods yard on the line and by then was only used for whiteing to (I think) a paper mill in Scotland.
(Sorry Gents that the last couple of paragraphs have strayed away from signalling!)

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby yorksman » Wed Sep 4, 2013 9:03 pm

The down main ran into 1 and 2 and there were signals to enable up trains to start back from them via the scissors. The scissors connected to the up main as seen below in the photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N ... 5130808490

The WON in 74 describes the gantry replacement signals and clearly states the dolls are backing dolls Up main to 1 and 2. Subsequent repetitions into 75 are not amended.
The WON for March 1983 describes their change of use from backing dolls for 1 and 2 to backing dolls for 4 and 5.
The acceptance levers in South box must have been used for Up trains starting back from 1 and 2.
I have looked at the original signalling and there was no signal for a backing move to 5 on the gantries.
This suggests the freights were reversed down through 2 and blocked back on the single line to access the yard via the up line to No 5, then reversed into the yard. Can this be right?
Maybe someone who worked either box can help?
yorksman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Thu Sep 5, 2013 12:05 am

I made my site visit (B&Qs car park is a good vantage point) but what I found is more than confirmed by the picture linked to. So clearly the dollies did refer to platforms 1&2 originally and then changed to read into 4&5 when 1&2 were abolished in 1983. And that would be when the acceptance lever was provided at Quay Crossing. So far so good.
yorksman wrote:The acceptance levers in South box must have been used for Up trains starting back from 1 and 2.

The acceptance levers would not have been necessary to depart an up train from 1 or 2 but only to admit one from the Quay end. As mentioned previousley, I do not believe these were to allow up trains off the single line into these platforms but only to allow moves from the remains of the old down main which then had no direct access to the up lines.
This creates the possibility that the goods could simply arrive in platform 2 and run round via 1, or vice versa. But we still don't know how it got to the goods yard. I wonder if Regulation 32 ("Facing Road Authority") was authorised through platform 5? Signals are not normally provided for Reg 32 moves. I also wonder if the dolly at QC reading into the goods yard also read back to the single line? Of course having both would make the job simple!

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby alancolq » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello all - sorry for joining in nearly 4 years late! I was a fairly regular (unofficial!) visitor to Brid Quay and South boxes in the 70s, so just before and after the singling of the line northwards. Before singling the "Brid Goods" would sometimes shunt the coal drops on the down side at Brid South then go forward through platform 1 to Brid Quay and reverse through the scissors crossover to platform 5. It would be belled on to Brid South as a 2-2-3 "Train Requiring to Stop in Section" and, as per regulations, be accepted by Brid South under the 3-5-5 bell code "warning arrangement", regulation 5. This prevented access to and from platform 6 becoming blocked.

Regulation 32 wrong line moves back along platform 5 were also permitted and this was at least as common: the 2-3-3 working in wrong direction bell signal would be used. If the train was shut in the goods yard, Quay would send the 5-2 train clear of section bell signal to Brid South, or if the train returned to Brid South without being shut in then Brid South would send the 5-2 train withdrawn bell signal (I'm not 100% sure on those last two bell signal arrangements, may have them the wrong way round!!).

When the acceptance levers were installed after singling, those at Brid South were either not commissioned or had a fault that was never fixed - at least during my visits up until c. 1980-81. As Pete mentions, the levers in Brid South would only have been used to release something from the siding or headshunt (truncated down main) at the Quay end and I only ever recall a tamper being stored there for a very short time, so a very rare occurrence. This could also have been achieved within the rules - albeit awkwardly - by Brid Quay blocking back outside home signal (3-3), then obtaining a tablet to enter the single line and a reverse along one of the up platforms 4 or 5.

As an aside, I recall a summer Saturday at Brid South pre-rationalisation when Doncaster control had given wrong running order advice to the signalman: this resulted in a special from Chesterfield being wrong-platformed in No6, leaving the last 3 or 4 coaches blocking the exits from the up platforms 4 & 5 for a good 20-25 minutes until the train was emptied and hand-signalled back towards the gantries and into the carriage sidings!

I am also fairly sure that the disc signals provided at the base of the up main-to-platform-6 home signal after the gantries were removed led to platforms 1 and 2, primarily for shunts from the carriage sidings back into platforms 1 & 2. When up trains started back from these (down) platforms there was no need for the release levers to be used: the trains would be offered on to Brid Quay in the usual manner (e.g. as empty stock if they were coming out of the carriage sidings), train entering section sent, but then cancelled (3-5) after they departed southwards. I always found it curious that FPLs were provided to enable this but no full size signal arms!

I have some old TR books from the 1950s and 60s which I shall need to look out: there were other interesting arrangements from earlier times, e.g DMUs splitting in platform 1 with the front half continuing to Scarboro and the rear half returning to Hull. I believe in these cases the signalmen liaised with one another and used the same arrangements as an engine running round its train, i.e Quay would send the 2-1-3 Engine Arrived bell signal when the front half departed and South would send 3-2-3 train drawn back clear of section bell signal to when the rear half departed; Quay would then return the block instrument to line blocked (normal).

Glad I spotted the thread - brought back many happy memories!

Best regards,
Alan Colquhoun
alancolq
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical