Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Somersault signals on the Skegness line

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Somersault signals on the Skegness line

Unread postby GSherlock » Mon Dec 2, 2013 9:59 pm

A mate of mine is planning to build a model railway in OO gauge, loosely based on Wainfleet station (loosely because it will incorporate a couple of sidings for grain for operational interest). His layout will date around 1985-6 and 1989-90, depending on what stock he wants to run. However, he is keen to add a somersault Home and/or Section signal (working or dummy, he hasn't decided which yet) and wants to photograph one for his research.

I appreciate the above query probably belongs in the Modelling section but the crux of the query, I think, belongs here. There are a couple of queries he put to me to find out:
1. If any somersault signals were located in the Wainfleet area, when were they replaced with Upper Quadrants?
2. He wants to know if there are any somersault signals remaining on the Skegness line at the moment. I have my doubts, and I think the only somersault remaining anywhere in the area is at Boston Docks, protecting the swing bridge. Can anyone confirm my thoughts?

Many thanks

Greg
GSherlock
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Somersault signals on the Skegness line

Unread postby Richard Pike » Mon Dec 2, 2013 10:15 pm

There are none left on the Skegness line. I believe the one at Boston Docks is still there.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Roger Bell » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:46 am

Minus it's spec plate
Roger Bell
Roger Bell
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Roger Bell » Tue Dec 3, 2013 8:55 am

See Heritage Railways page re the original query.
Roger Bell
Roger Bell
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Dec 3, 2013 9:02 am

GSherlock wrote:A mate of mine is planning to build a model railway in OO gauge, loosely based on Wainfleet station (loosely because it will incorporate a couple of sidings for grain for operational interest). His layout will date around 1985-6 and 1989-90, depending on what stock he wants to run. However, he is keen to add a somersault Home and/or Section signal (working or dummy, he hasn't decided which yet) and wants to photograph one for his research.

I appreciate the above query probably belongs in the Modelling section but the crux of the query, I think, belongs here. There are a couple of queries he put to me to find out:
1. If any somersault signals were located in the Wainfleet area, when were they replaced with Upper Quadrants?

I visited Wainfleet along with other locations on the line in 1988 and photographed most of the surviving somersault signals. As I didn't photograph any at Wainfleet I think it is unlikely there were any there at the dates mentioned above.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 11:20 am

John Hinson wrote: I visited Wainfleet along with other locations on the line in 1988 and photographed most of the surviving somersault signals. As I didn't photograph any at Wainfleet I think it is unlikely there were any there at the dates mentioned above.

John

That confirms my thoughts that Wainfleet was not home to a somersault latterly, and that I think the remainder were removed not all that long after Johns' visit. However as the model is based loosely on Wainfleet, I don't think it would be unreasonable to introduce one. All the late survivors on the line were concrete post examples so I think it would be most appropriate to model that type.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby PinzaC55 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 11:45 am

PinzaC55
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby GSherlock » Thu Dec 5, 2013 11:59 pm

Many thanks for all of the replies. I'm sure my mate will be pleased with the response and can go out to Boston Docks in the knowledge that the somersault signal is still there. Failing that, he can always visit the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway to see the fine example at Ludborough station.

Many thanks

Greg
GSherlock
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby VitriolWorksSB » Thu Sep 7, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm coming to the discussion a few years late....

Wainfleet's down distant about half a mile west of the station was a somersault right up to the end. I photographed it several times in the 80s and for the last time in 1993 so it will definitely fit the model layout. Today a distant signal stands at the same spot on a fairly short post, itself a relative rarity these days.
VitriolWorksSB
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby StevieG » Thu Sep 7, 2017 10:34 pm

GSherlock wrote:Many thanks for all of the replies. I'm sure my mate will be pleased with the response and can go out to Boston Docks in the knowledge that the somersault signal is still there. Failing that, he can always visit the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway to see the fine example at Ludborough station.

Many thanks

Greg
FWIW in case of slight interest to your mate Greg, I toured the line from Grantham in about 1976, and from Hubberts Bridge to Haven House there were then about 12 somersaults still in use (excluding those at Boston Docks), including one or two miniatures at Sleaford West, and more interestingly, Wainfleet's Up Distant was still an even older-type tall(-ish) wooden posted somersault with its spec. plate about 1/3-way down the post.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby VitriolWorksSB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Readers might be interested in other somersault signals. When I travelled the line to Skegness in 1984 I noted all the somersaults I saw. I got pictures of all of them too. These were:
Havenhouse Up and Down Home
Wainfleet Down Distant (west of station)
Thorpe Culvert Down Home and Distant, Up distant
Bellwater Junction: Down home, 200 yds west of signal box
Old Leake: Up Distant

At Sleaford West in July 1983 there was a shunt somersault signal on a short post. I didn't look out for it after then.

In 1977 in Spalding goods yard on the west side of the line there was a somersault shunt signal on a short post. It was gone when I visited in 1978.
VitriolWorksSB
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Signalling - historical