Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Yellow shunt signals

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Unread postby Tulyar15 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 am

Keith wrote:
SDL wrote:No, not necessarily. For example:

Now there's a station that's a mere shadow of its former self!! I remember having used all five platforms, with the possible exception of the northernmost one. First it went down to four platforms, maybe three for a time(?), then two, and now there's only one. :(

where are you talking about? I don't see a name on the above diagram, only a "CN" prefix on the signals. Please clarify.
Tulyar15
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Alan Norris » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 am

Tulyar15 wrote:
Keith wrote:

Now there's a station that's a mere shadow of its former self!! I remember having used all five platforms, with the possible exception of the northernmost one. First it went down to four platforms, maybe three for a time(?), then two, and now there's only one. :(

where are you talking about? I don't see a name on the above diagram, only a "CN" prefix on the signals. Please clarify.

A guess - CN + pier + Keith = Craigendoran?

http://ccgi.ewanbeth.force9.co.uk/cgi-bin/images/location.php?loc=Craigendoran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigendoran_railway_station
Last edited by Alan Norris on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Norris
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby StevieG » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:50 am

This 'multiple yellow shunt signals' idea also continued into early position-light days, as I remember, pre-current Crewe signalling, seeing a Crewe South Junction, double, vertically-stacked, yellow/white GPL signal at the north exit from the south carriage shed : The 'straight-ahead' route was, I think, really quite short onto a buffer stop - one loco-length only perhaps.
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm

SDL wrote:
Benhar Jnc wrote:Tonight's daft laddie question - Does a yellow on white (or yellow on black) ground signal always appear as a single unit

No, not necessarily. For example:

Thanks for a definitive answer, I just couldn't think of ever having seen a stacked example myself. I've seen the single example at Greenloaning and there was one at Dalwhinnie. Looks like I'm not the only one wondering about the real location of your diagram.
...... another trip working to the Dardanelles
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Alan Norris » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Benhar Jnc wrote:
SDL wrote:
Benhar Jnc wrote:Tonight's daft laddie question - Does a yellow on white (or yellow on black) ground signal always appear as a single unit

No, not necessarily. For example:

Thanks for a definitive answer, I just couldn't think of ever having seen a stacked example myself. I've seen the single example at Greenloaning and there was one at Dalwhinnie. Looks like I'm not the only one wondering about the real location of your diagram.

As above - it's Craigendoran :) :)
Alan Norris
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Tulyar15 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:19 pm

OK, thanks for confirming the location.
Tulyar15
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:10 pm

Interesting that locations as far apart as Crewe and Craigendoran featured stacked yellow on white ground signals.
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby SDL » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:19 pm

StevieG wrote:This 'multiple yellow shunt signals' idea also continued into early position-light days, as I remember, pre-current Crewe signalling, seeing a Crewe South Junction, double, vertically-stacked, yellow/white GPL signal at the north exit from the south carriage shed

There was a triple yellow PLS at the south end of Crewe, but not stacked in the usual way. Look at the exit signals from "No.2 Stop Block":

SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby SDL » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 pm

Benhar Jnc wrote:Interesting that locations as far apart as Crewe and Craigendoran featured stacked yellow on white ground signals.

I can push the northern extremity a bit further. There used to be a two-armed miniature yellow semaphore signal at Connel Ferry. I have a recollection of seeing a two-tier yellow disc at Inverness (with black background), but I cannot find a diagram or photograph to confirm if my memory is correct.
SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Most interesting post - I'm now waiting to see if someone pops up with an example of a two or three tiered yellow disc on the Southern, or in the South West or Wales?
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby SDL » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Benhar Jnc wrote:I'm now waiting to see if someone pops up with an example of a two or three tiered yellow disc on the Southern, or in the South West or Wales?

You'd be doing very well even to find a red stacked disc on the Southern. :?
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby StevieG » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:15 pm

SDL wrote:
StevieG wrote:This 'multiple yellow shunt signals' idea also continued into early position-light days, as I remember, pre-current Crewe signalling, seeing a Crewe South Junction, double, vertically-stacked, yellow/white GPL signal at the north exit from the south carriage shed

There was a triple yellow PLS at the south end of Crewe, but not stacked in the usual way. Look at the exit signals from "No.2 Stop Block":

Very interesting!
An unexpected arrangement, but certainly logical with the route 'to which it does not apply' being near-central rather than the route most extreme to the left, or (as in the Craigendoran diagram) the right.
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:40 pm

You'd be doing very well even to find a red stacked disc on the Southern.

True - but the L&SWR used to put them side-by-side instead :) And the Southern did so at Exeter Central.
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby StevieG » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:53 pm

SDL wrote:
Benhar Jnc wrote:I'm now waiting to see if someone pops up with an example of a two or three tiered yellow disc on the Southern, or in the South West or Wales?

You'd be doing very well even to find a red stacked disc on the Southern. :?

.... Same on the ex-GNR routes of the LNER & BR(ER) (York policy?), where the great majoriy of disc sites were just singles, reading to all routes (I knew at least one that went 5 ways). Where there was occasionally more than one, they seem to like mounting them side by side where possible, in preference to stacking.
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby SDL » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:02 pm

True - but the L&SWR used to put them side-by-side instead :) And the Southern did so at Exeter Central.

And you can still see three discs side by side at Laurencekirk:

(We'll be getting a row soon for drifting off topic)
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

PreviousNext

Return to Signalling - historical