Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Yellow shunt signals

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Yellow shunt signals

Unread postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:29 pm

I appreciate that this subject has been discussed before, and a search of the topics didn't give me the answer, so, can anyone give me a date when yellow on black superseded yellow on white please? There was yesterday a discussion on this relating to developments at Manuel (Bo'ness Junc).

Regards
Martin
Martin Shaw
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Yellow shunt signals

Unread postby SDL » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:23 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I appreciate that this subject has been discussed before, and a search of the topics didn't give me the answer, so, can anyone give me a date when yellow on black superseded yellow on white please?

1962 was when the black background was mandated as standard for all yellow discs. Before then, the black background had been used for floodlit signals, but I don't have a date for its first use.
SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:57 am

SDL wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I appreciate that this subject has been discussed before, and a search of the topics didn't give me the answer, so, can anyone give me a date when yellow on black superseded yellow on white please?

1962 was when the black background was mandated as standard for all yellow discs. Before then, the black background had been used for floodlit signals, but I don't have a date for its first use.

Surprising then that yellow on white still being used and renewed as this perfect example (at time of photograph) shows (Greenloaning)
http://tillyweb.biz/gallery/gg/greenloaningsig.jpg
John Tilly
www.tillyweb.biz
www.senalizacion.biz

REPORT Railway Crime or suspicious activity to BTP on Freephone 0800.405040
John
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Tulyar15 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:03 am

I think there was still at yellow on white disc at Narborough about 10 years ago.
Tulyar15
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby SDL » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:19 pm

Tulyar15 wrote:I think there was still at yellow on white disc at Narborough about 10 years ago.

Although the instruction issued in 1962 required all new yellow discs to have a black background, that didn't mean that all those with a white background got changed to black overnight. Since there was no need for retrospective action, it's not at all surprising to hear that there was one at Narborough ten years ago. There are still a few around to this day.
SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 pm

John wrote:Surprising then that yellow on white still being used and renewed as this perfect example (at time of photograph) shows (Greenloaning)

That one looks interesting to me as it doesn't have the yellow and white areas separated by a thin black line, which used to be nomal on LMR-type discs. Is/was this arrangement found elsewhere in Scotland or are we looking at an oddity here?

Easiest example to hand to show this, although someone has been watering it:

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby SDL » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:58 pm

signalman wrote:That one looks interesting to me as it doesn't have the yellow and white areas separated by a thin black line, which used to be nomal on LMR-type discs. Is/was this arrangement found elsewhere in Scotland or are we looking at an oddity here?

I would consider that an oddity. I'd say the same about red discs that have the thin black lines, although those seem to be a bit more common.
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby SDL » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:07 pm

John wrote:Surprising then that yellow on white still being used and renewed as this perfect example (at time of photograph) shows (Greenloaning)

Here's the same signal before it was 'modernised':

SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Alan Roberts » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:53 pm

SDL wrote:

Here's the same signal before it was 'modernised':

Penmaenmawr had a good example of the two different types of yellow disc. One out of the yard was an elevated yellow on white. The other one was a yellow on black for setting back through the double slip in the layout...
my website......... www.alanroberts771.fotopic.net
Miscellaneous Signals page.[/img]
Alan Roberts
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:33 am

No doubt you recognised the one I showed above then.

http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/lm/penmaenmawr.htm

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Alan Roberts » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:42 pm

signalman wrote:No doubt you recognised the one I showed above then.

http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/lm/penmaenmawr.htm

John

Recognise it too well (Signal 15 at Penmaenmawr)- worked it several times when Penmaenmawr had a complex of points opposite the box. Further along the North Wales Coast there was another yellow on black disc reading from the sidings at Point of Ayr Colliery to the up main at Talacre - it was abolished on 29th October 1988 during part of the remodelling taking place at the time.

Alan
Alan Roberts
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Tonight's daft laddie question - Does a yellow on white (or yellow on black) ground signal always appear as a single unit - i.e. red on white ground signals often appear stacked on top of each other - up to four high?
...... another trip working to the Dardanelles
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby SDL » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:16 pm

Benhar Jnc wrote:Tonight's daft laddie question - Does a yellow on white (or yellow on black) ground signal always appear as a single unit

No, not necessarily. For example:
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Simon Foster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Benhar Jnc wrote:Tonight's daft laddie question - Does a yellow on white (or yellow on black) ground signal always appear as a single unit - i.e. red on white ground signals often appear stacked on top of each other - up to four high?

Nowhere near as common as multiple red signals, but they have existed.

Carnforth F&M had an example of a triple (yellow on black, when I saw it), at the exit from the sidings. Buckley Wells (Bury) at one time had a two arm yellow Tall Siding Signal coming off the shed. Those are the only two I can recall, both of which have of course now gone.
Simon Foster
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Keith » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:58 pm

SDL wrote:No, not necessarily. For example:

Now there's a station that's a mere shadow of its former self!! I remember having used all five platforms, with the possible exception of the northernmost one. First it went down to four platforms, maybe three for a time(?), then two, and now there's only one. :(
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Next

Return to Signalling - historical