Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Crewkerne Tunnel connection to brickworks

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Crewkerne Tunnel connection to brickworks

Unread postby Bradshaw » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:56 am

In the 1850s a brickworks was opened just to the east of Crewkerne tunnel to supply the bricks for its lining. After the line opened the works continued in operation into the second half of the 20th Century.

I have just come across two estate maps, dated 1885, showing plans of the brickworks, before and after alterations in that year. Both show a connection from the down main line into the works where two sidings are shown. The difference between the two is that in the earlier version the connection is a facing one and the later one is trailing. These lines are not shown on the 1889 OS map.

My question is firstly would this arrangement be allowed at that time and, if so, would how would it be controlled? Sadly I have no more information that can help although I understand the L&SWR had a ballast siding near Forde Abbey which may have operated in the same way.

The photos are copyright of the Somerset Heritage Centre and so I am reluctant to post them fort hat reason. The archive reference is DD\PT/MAP/2

I would be very grateful for any help in this
Bradshaw
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical