Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Surbiton NX Panel - signal box

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Surbiton NX Panel - signal box

Unread postby adlingr » Fri Sep 9, 2016 5:25 pm

Folks

I have done some research on Surbiton NX panel signal box in Surrey, as there is currently little or no information,
there is not even an external picture of the panel box that I can find on the internet.

I have recreated the NX Panel in CAD from a couple of photographs and short video from 1974
I author worked at the NX Panel as a signal engineer during 1973 and 1974.

1970 version (as opened)
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/p ... l_1970.pdf

1974 version (after full level barrier crossing with CCTV installed)
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/p ... l_1974.pdf

I hope you find this interesting, and I acknowledge help from various document on the internet
and what I can remember. I am satisfied the track layout 99% is right against photos and video.
However the track circuit ID's are still missing as the lettering is not known as known at present.
As this is the first public release, there may be the odd omission but hopefully it is generally OK.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU LIKE THE PDFS or have any comments about my efforts at recreating Surbiton NX Panel.

Here is the TEXT from the remarks on each PDF as it may be of interest in this Forum

SURBITON NX PANEL - SIGNAL BOX, SURBITON STATION SOUTH WEST MAIN LINES IN SURREY
Drawn by Mark Adlington September 2016. email mark_adlington@mste.co.uk
NX Panel drawn from a couple of photographs and short video from 1974
The author worked at the NX Panel as a signal engineer during 1973 and 1974.
Area covered was from just north of Woking to just south of New Malden and included the following major stations
Hampton Court, Hampton Court Junction, Surbiton, Walton on Thames, Weybridge, there were also 3 branch lines,
Chertsey line, Cobham line, and Hampton Court line.

The panel was built by Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd and was commissioned in two stages
1st March 1970 which was Surbiton To Walton on Thames and
22nd March 1970 which was Walton on Thames to Byfleet and New Haw and the Chertsey branch.
The Panel is constructed with 40mm x 40mm tiles and was a Westinghouse M1 style panel
The Panel was a NX Push-Push (NX(PP) Generally one button at the signal: acts as entrance button for
route in advance and exit button for route in rear. Each tile containing just one route light / track circuit
aperture each and with push-buttons having a shallow, rounded-edged escutcheon

When the signal box was opened in 1970 there were 3 gate boxes with mechanical level crossing gates, Addlestone,
Hampton Court and Cooks Crossing adjacent to Oxshott station. the gate boxes were closed in 1974/75 and remote
Controlled Full level crossing barriers with CCTV were used to supervise the level crossings. The level crossing controls
were separate from the main signal remote control systems and used the Frequency Division Multiplex (FDM) system.
CCTV signals were passed over conventional coax cable with amplifiers as necessary to the monitors at Surbiton.

With respect to the signals, the main line was predominantly 4 aspect, with 2 or 3 aspect on the branch lines.
However on the 4 track main lines, there was insufficient braking distance for 90 mile per hour running between
Woking and New Malden without special signal aspect controls. The special arrangements were the use of the
'double' double yellow signal aspect which increase the necessary braking distance to safely stop a train. Therefore the
signals showed, Green, Double Yellow, Double Yellow, Yellow then Red aspects respectively. (G, YY, YY, Y, R). All signals
were fitted with Green extra strength AWS track equipment throughout the area. There was one searchlight 3 aspect
signal at Addlestone station platform just before the level crossing. All signals that worked automatically were prefixed
with a WAxxx name plate, where as all control signals had a 'S' prefix name plate

All points were fitted with Westinghouse M63 style point machines battery driven at 130vDC using central battery in the
relay rooms.

During 1971 an experimental form of cab signalling (SRAWS - Signal Repeating AWS) which was being trialled in the
up-direction between Byfleet [it may have been Woking] and Raynes Park (as well as in the New Forest area).
The cab layout showed the driver the aspect of the next signal and the one that the train had just passed.
Its used a coax aerial loop figure of eight in the track with a frequency module in the signal location to pass
a radio frequency code to the train depending on the signal aspect.

Development of SRAWS ended in 1975 when the British Railways Board dictated that the Southern Region should equip
its lines with standard BR AWS.

Relay Rooms
There were 4 remote Relay interlockings at Hampton Court, Hampton Court Junction, Walton on Thames and Weybridge
Hampton Court and Hampton Court Junction were direct fed using direct fed micro core cabling for control and indication
whilst Weybridge was connected with a Time Division Multiplex (TMD) control and indication system.
Walton on Thames as also connected to Weybridge TDM system.

All Relays rooms were "free wired" using Westinghouse Q style relays, the relay room interlockings consists of separate
relays performing the vital functions which are interconnected in a design which is specific to that location.
The non-vital functions were also performed by Westinghouse plug in Post Office style relays using either directly fed or
electronic fed systems.

Remote Override Control (ROC)
Override controls are often provided in connection with remote interlockings controlled by Time
Division Multiplex (TDM) or Frequency Division Multiplex (FDM) links. They allow a small number of
priority routes to be set and signals to work automatically if normal control from the interface is lost.
These are normally just one of the controls positioned on the interface amongst the others provided for
normal signalling. However, in the case of Surbitons various relay interlockings a separate interface
is sometimes provided for the control of override systems.

Local Control Panels
The remote relay rooms had Local Control Panel (LCP) for emergency use. it was initiated with a Key switch.
They were intended for temporary operation as part of stage works or as LCPs, with the controls consisting
of three position GPO Type 1000 telephone-concentrator-style key switches for points and signals. Those for
signals are sprung to return to the middle position, being pressed down to simulate the pressing in of a
conventional NX(PP) button, and being pressed up to simulate the pulling up of a button. Points switches
are pressed to the Normal or Reverse position to call the points, where they remain until reset, being normally
in the centre position for route-setting. The route-setting process is as for NX(PP) but with the switches taking
the place of conventional NX buttons.

Each Relay Room Local Control Panel had a conventional southern railway style track diagram with track lights,
and signal and point indicators on the drawing.
Last edited by adlingr on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adlingr
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Surbiton NX Panel - signal box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:48 am

adlingr wrote:I have done some research on Surbiton NX panel signal box in Surrey, as there is currently little or no information,
there is not even an external picture of the panel box that I can find on the internet.

There are some pictures on my site here:
http://shop.studio433.co.uk/index.php?r ... egory_id=0
Click twice on the image and they show as moderate-sized pictures.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby adlingr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi John
Thanks for the link, Ive ordered some hi res pictures, thanks that will help my CAD drawings a bit more.

out of curosity, do you know why internet search engines like google were unable to find and references to your pictures on your site.
I looked for meta data on the surbiton pages and think the meta date is missisng. ???
adlingr
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:16 pm

adlingr wrote:Hi John
Thanks for the link, Ive ordered some hi res pictures, thanks that will help my CAD drawings a bit more.

out of curosity, do you know why internet search engines like google were unable to find and references to your pictures on your site.
I looked for meta data on the surbiton pages and think the meta date is missisng. ???

Thanks for the order - I tried to word it so that you could just look at the pictures if you wanted so I hope you didn't think it was a hard sell. A lot of people use the site for research and I have no problem with that.

Unfortunately, many search engines don't dig deeply in a site with thousands of pictures and links and I find some only list the latest additions. That being said, the Surbiton pictures haven't been on the site long . . .

Most search engines don't bother with meta data these days (hidden information on the web page for search engines, for those who haven't a clue what we are talking about) as it is too easy to pretend to be a decent site and then innocent people discover they have been directed by a search engine to something not-at-all decent. So, with many thousands (literally) yet to scan and upload I admit I don't bother either - it would use time I can put to better use.

Best regards,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby marka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Folks

following more reasearch, I am now able to release my latest efforts at recreating the Surbiton NX Panel from documents and photos and relay room diagrams, along with other information received. This has been modeled in a CAD package from the information listed above and presented in PDF format,

Hope you find then intersting, Please let me know of any errors.

3 files are provided for 1970 / 1974 and 1979.

http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/pdf/Surbiton_NX_Panel_1970.pdf
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/pdf/Surbiton_NX_Panel_1974.pdf
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/pdf/Surbiton_NX_Panel_1979.pdf

differences to orignal pdf's, track circuit section letters, correction to addlestone junction and walton on thames and Weybridge track circuits. (either removal or additions) slight relocation of addleston cctv in 1974/79 versions.

I accept that additional CCTV monitors were installed along the top of the panel for Addlestone CCTV, Cooks Crossing CCTV and Hampton Court CCTV. However I have not manged to do that alteration yet, as these additions happened sometime in the 1980's.

this version was about getting the track circuit alocations rights and assinging the correct track circuit lettering.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark Adlington
marka
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby colin1501 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Interesting stuff, and fascinating diagrams. Out of interest, why were the main line signals spaced so as to give insufficient braking distance for 90 mph, given that this was presumably the intended linespeed? Presumably, when the area was resignalled in the 1990s, the spacing was changed, or are the additional double yellow aspects still used?

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby DY444 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:42 am

I think there's some confusion here. The main line signals were placed to provide braking distance from 90mph however extra "closing up" signals were provided on the slow lines at various locations (mostly just before the platforms at stations). To avoid potential misreads extra signals were also provided on the fast lines at the same places. These extra fast line signals were the ones which did not provide adequate braking distance at 90 mph and had the special controls. You can identify them on the diagrams produced by marka as they don't have train describer berths
DY444
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby DY444 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:38 am

DY444 wrote:I think there's some confusion here. The main line signals were placed to provide braking distance from 90mph however extra "closing up" signals were provided on the slow lines at various locations (mostly just before the platforms at stations). To avoid potential misreads extra signals were also provided on the fast lines at the same places. These extra fast line signals were the ones which did not provide adequate braking distance at 90 mph and had the special controls. You can identify them on the diagrams produced by marka as they don't have train describer berths

Further to this and having wracked my brains, I realise that the passage of time had clouded my memory when I posted the above so I've done a bit of digging:

The ruling line speed on the slows on the country side of Surbiton was 85mph and so the sub-standard braking distance risk with the additional signals was an issue on the slow lines too. The additional slow line signals were 4 aspect and so controls were applied to ensure that the full braking distance was available if the additional signal was not displaying a green aspect.

The fast line additional signals were 3 aspect (Y/G/Y) and had the same signal number as the "normal" signal ahead but with a D prefix if the signal ahead was controlled and a DWA prefix if the signal ahead was an auto. My (evidently unreliable) memory is that these showed the same proceed aspect as the "normal" signal ahead or yellow if the signal ahead was at danger, and in the latter case the signal in rear would show yellow also.
DY444
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

DY444 wrote:
The fast line additional signals were 3 aspect (Y/G/Y) and had the same signal number as the "normal" signal ahead but with a D prefix if the signal ahead was controlled and a DWA prefix if the signal ahead was an auto. My (evidently unreliable) memory is that these showed the same proceed aspect as the "normal" signal ahead or yellow if the signal ahead was at danger, and in the latter case the signal in rear would show yellow also.

Did these prefixes authorise drivers to pass them at black in the event of lamp failure?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby marka » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 pm

I worked as one of the S&T engineers at the Panel from 1971 through 1974.

ref Did these prefixes authorise drivers to pass them at black in the event of lamp failure? -------- NO under no circumstances, it was a wait for a phone call from the driver.. on the signal post telephone. This was a very rare occourance due to dual filament signal heads (read on)

All signals were fitted with lamp check relays ECR's so if a signal had no light the signal in the rear would always display a red aspect.
The lamp check relays ECR of the signal in advance was wired into the GR signal relay of the signal in the rear (which operated the signal HR)
or in the case of an automatic signal the ECR of the signal in advance was wired into the HR relay of the signal in the rear.

All the relay rooms had filament alarms for all the signal heads, from memory the signals were grouped into groups of 5 signals
and when a train passed through the section you could work out which was the defetive aspect on a given signal, then the lamp on the signal filament alarm light light.

You had to press a reset button to canel the alarm light (it acutally cancelled all the alarm lights), and an alarm light would light again when a relvant defetive aspect failed

All signal had dual filaments wired into the EPR relay

see attached image for explination

Regards
Mark Adlington
marka
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Wed May 3, 2017 12:47 pm

marka wrote:Folks

following more reasearch, I am now able to release my latest efforts at recreating the Surbiton NX Panel from documents and photos and relay room diagrams, along with other information received. This has been modeled in a CAD package from the information listed above and presented in PDF format,

Hope you find then intersting, Please let me know of any errors.

3 files are provided for 1970 / 1974 and 1979.

http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/pdf/Surbiton_NX_Panel_1970.pdf
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/pdf/Surbiton_NX_Panel_1974.pdf
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/pdf/Surbiton_NX_Panel_1979.pdf

differences to orignal pdf's, track circuit section letters, correction to addlestone junction and walton on thames and Weybridge track circuits. (either removal or additions) slight relocation of addleston cctv in 1974/79 versions.

I accept that additional CCTV monitors were installed along the top of the panel for Addlestone CCTV, Cooks Crossing CCTV and Hampton Court CCTV. However I have not manged to do that alteration yet, as these additions happened sometime in the 1980's.

this version was about getting the track circuit alocations rights and assinging the correct track circuit lettering.

Regards
Mark

Firstly many thanks for the hard work that has gone into producing the diagrams. These are very interesting and provide considerable detail.

I did notice that in the 1974 and 1979 diagrams that you mention on the diagrams themselves you were not sure of the numbering of the protecting signals at Addlestone level crossing, following the abolition of the crossing box there. However in so doing, I've also stumbled on some additional information that is not shown on the 1974 and 1979 diagrams but is shown on the 1970 diagram relating to the Up Siding (latterly Coxes Lock Mill Siding). This information was provided in the P/EW notices provided on a weekly basis to operating staff and is quoted below.

I hope that is of interest.

ADDLESTONE

Sunday, 6th January 1974

The gate box will be abolished and in future the level crossing barriers will be controlled from Surbiton signal box. Closed circuit television equipment will be provided at the crossing.

Telephones in direct communication with Surbiton signal box available for use by train crews will be provided on each side of the crossing.

The undermentioned signals will in future be controlled from Surbiton signal box and will be renumbered as shown below. The associated telephones will communicate directly with Surbiton Signal box.

Down Main Home (Platform stating (AD5) renumbered to S170
Up Main Home (AD15) renumbered S44

A new 4-lever ground frame, electrically released from Surbiton signal box, together with a telephone in direct communication with Surbiton signal box, will be provided adjacent to the Up line approximately 100 yards Surbiton side of the former gate box and will control the adjacent Coxes Lock Mill siding (formerly Up Siding) points. The shunting signals formerly controlled from the gate box will in future be controlled from this ground frame.

A new shunting signal will be provided adjacent to the Up Main line 115 yards Chertsey side of and controlled from the new ground frame. This will repeat the indication displayed by the existing shunting signal 2 yards Chertsey side of the ground frame, controlling movements from Up Main line to Coxes Lock Mill Siding (3R). The telephones at Coxes Lock Mill Crossing will in future communicate directly with Surbiton signal box.

then later

ADDLESTONE

Sunday 5 May 1985

The ground flame and the trailing connection between the Up line and Coxes Lock Mill siding will be abolished, together with the associated shunting signals.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby marka » Sat May 6, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi Peter G
Thnak you for the updates on Addlestone, the abolition of the signal box and the new groundframe, and the eventual abolition of the ground frame.
Mark
Regards
Mark Adlington
marka
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby marka » Sat May 6, 2017 8:08 pm

Cine Film of Surbition NX Panel

I have finally managed to get my cine film for Surbition NX Panel onto Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=vwwCyJ0LPn4

Enjoy.
Mark
Regards
Mark Adlington
marka
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby marka » Sat May 6, 2017 8:31 pm

Can anybody confrim the location of the CCTV and level crossing controls for Hampton Court Level crossing barriers when they were brough into use on the NX Panel (23rd September 1979 onwards)

I think they were locate adjacent to Cobham station on the NX Panel , but I am not sure.

Mark
Regards
Mark Adlington
marka
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical